Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Monday, August 2, 2010

A Humble Day ... a day of Honor

This morning was one of the best days I have ever had in Uganda. I actually slept in and did not begin my day with 630 am Mass in Lwo. The reason was that after Mass and after greeting the Priests and the parishioners; I never get to see the raising of the flags. The Captain of the Flag Raising is very serious in his job, and I love that he works so hard to do his job right. His name is Obwona Brian Santo, and he does a great job. He has instructed both faculty and students, that they should never speak with their back to the Ugandan flag. So it is funny during these assemblies when a speaker (faculty or student) moves to the front of the flag stand. Brian will walk up to them, and politely whisper in their ear to move back behind the flags. The flag team today consisted of Brian, Olanya Vincent, and Adong Flavia

It was perfect this morning as the usual all male team was joined by a young woman. I have videotape of the ceremony, and will show it to you when I get back. But they specially tie the flags in a bundle, so they raise the bundle to the top of the flag pole, and then give it a jerk. This causes the flag first to unfurl at the top of the flag pole, as the students sing the Ugandan National Anthem. They pause in the middle of the anthem, to raise their school flag the same way, and then after the anthem is over raise the third flag, which is a flag of Pope Paul VI (resembles the Vatican flag), as the students bow their heads in prayer.

I also taped the speech of the headmaster. He has a wonderful and powerful speech pattern, where he lingers on the last word of his sentence. He started speeking about the American teachers, and said something like this, "They have spent time to do their very best for youuuuuuuuu. I call them friends of humanityyyyyyyy. You should give them a big farewell this week, a fair farewellll. I call them friends of humanity, because they are not worried about tribes, or nations, they are human beinggggggs and thus that is why I call them friends of humanity."

He then called Kelley and I to the flagpole, and told us that they wanted to give us all Acholi names. Most teachers are given Acholi names in their experience, but I have never been given one. It is not a big deal, yet I could not have foreseen how special this honor was. The Head Teacher explained to the students that they wanted to take some time giving these names so they could see who we are, and get to see our "characterrrrrrrrrrrrrr". He then start talking about me, some of the best words I have ever heard. This is close.... "In Uganda, we talk about heroes, and we have seen John Magee here every morning, he is always present, always visible. He has not missed coming to Uganda for the last 3 years (4 years of teaching). He is a man who believes what he is doing, and stands firm in his beliefs, even when others do not." Too many kind words ... "He stands for something, and he cares about the mathematics, and the students. So in our language, we will call him Oteka." He laid on that last word and held onto it, and followed it with this big hearty laugh. Some Invisible Children will know that Oteka was the name give to Nate Henn who died in the Kampala bombings. Nate, I think, was given that name is because he was a big, strong young man. I was amazed and humbled that the Head Teacher in consultation with the faculty would use that same word to talk about my beliefs and ideals.

It is often hard for us all to hear these words of praise, but I make my students stand on a chair, and be proud of who they are and what they have accomplished. I think this morning was my turn to stand on a chair...

They next renamed Kelley, and the Head Teacher gave a wonderful speech on who she was.... (If you are a friend or family of Kelley, email me, and I will find a way to send the video to you when I get home). Jacob, our Peace Corps roommate, had scrambled to get Min and Colleen out of their slumber in time to be given their names, Anywade, Child of the Moon for Colleen, and Aber, or beautiful for Min.

Next the headmaster told us we were all going to hop in his car and go to Pakwach, but I think I will save that story for later....

But Colleen did realize her dream of holding a baby goat...

Thanks to all who gave this year so I could follow my dream,
I have souvenirs for all of you, but after this morning I will
never be able to fully repay you in my lifetime,

John

No comments: