Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

In homage of Memento.... Sort of

I am now siting at the Acholi Inn for about the fourth time in two days. I got here through the rain and the mud. We had a brief downpour which really messes with the roads and the ability to walk. Gulu is also on one big hill so all of the water from the whole town flows towards Uchumi store and the bottom of the hill. But I managed with the help of a crafty boda boda driver. I just left Ronald at the bus station, he has completed his second term and now heads back to Lacekocot for a much deserved rest. Ronald, of course, showed up in a tie, and his green sweater vest from Sir Samuel Baker School. We talked some, ate at my favorite place, Alulululu Pork joint, and we talked a little. Ronald is such an amazing young man, and several of us have pushed him along the way with some fees paid here and there. It tears me up that I cannot help every student, but we are trying for Ronald to be the one starfish we choose to throw back in this ocean. I will have to write more of his story later, his is the big story of this trip and I have to think longer to give it justice. ............ But there has been so much WONDER in these days that I have to keep writing. ---> http://simplyliveit.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/simply-believe-in-wonder/ ..............I met Ronald after I took a boda boda on the hilliest ride back from Sacred Heart. The motorcycle was whining on several occasions as moving the large American proved difficult for this bike. I had not seen Sacred Heart in several years, the students have always been amazing, but now the landscape and buildings were also. Some were built by the Japanese government, but the large three story building was built by Invisible Children. I had just visited thanks to an invitation from Ashley, who charges through life smiling and laughing along the way. No teacher college or training tells you how to develop the spirit or the kindness of this one. Each moment she was on campus, students walked towards her with a curiosity and an inquisitiveness. I think it might be impossible for a young girl at an all girls' school not to learn or be moved by Ashley's smile or her openness. I watched as one student approached her and gave her a necklace that she had made for her wonderful teacher. Rachel and Meegan, the proud Canadian, joined Ashley and I on my tour of Sacred Heart. I once said that everyone wants to be tall, curly-haired and left handed. Rachel rocks 2 out of 3 of those and laughs out loud about every 11 minutes. In her free time, she is amazing science teacher in Ohio. Meegan charges through life like she is going to mountain bike from Vancouver to Alaska(and after reading this she might just try). They are joined at Sacred Heart by Debbie. If you want to know more about the amazing students of Sacred Heart scroll down to a post in July 2009. (Those 10 and this school remains lodged in my awesome memories) Wonderful students in uniform who smile while they walk and are amazing learners. I thought for a moment in one Sacred Heart student, I saw the smile of Claire Minnick, and I thought definitely I heard the laughter of Amy Welin in another, and then I saw one quickly move for building to building very serious about completing the next task--did she really have the walk of Hayley Kuehner? And then I realized the uniforms were red and I saw a skinny girl laugh out loud exactly like Chaley Poth. I wanted to take so many pictures, but I decided to take a picture of the three teachers at the base of a statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. It seemed like such a good place to start. ..................... And then I turned, "Is that the Chapel?". "Yes it is, there is almost always girls in there praying." said one of my friends. But I did not really hear, I walked towards the Chapel. I saw the most wonderful sign in the center of the Chapel (see Facebook) and moved inside. There was a lone student at the front right of the place, holding a large bass drum of some sorts and playing both sides of it as she sang. Her voice was soft and amazing. Songs to God have such a beauty to them, but this one was better. [TIME OUT-- You all should really read Sarah Allen's wonderful blog above]. My best wish for all of you is that I you are in awe when you see wonder. The school bell for the next class rang and the young girl stopped the drum and sang the last verses a Capella. I had planned to kneel in this Chapel and say a Hail Mary for my parents, but instead I just knelt and thanked God for this blessing, hearing this song was amazing................................. Down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere in the northern part of Uganda, I heard an Angel sing. You may never know, Sarah Girl, where you will see wonder, sometimes it comes from accepting an invitation from a very small animal.

No comments: