Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

First Night, First Day in Gulu

I cannot tell you how exciting arriving in Gulu is.... Imagine a whole lot of your friends hang out in the same place, the place you have laughed with them (Da Pub) is there, and total strangers sometimes yell John or Magee as you pass by.

Now imagine that it takes 3 different planes, 3 different continents and a 5 hour ride to reach these friends. You can imagine my excitement upon arriving here. My new friends in Group I and of course, Lisa and Lindsay, were waiting inside a metal gate as we arrived. There were cheering and carrying on, when one of them saw half of my body through the gate and said, "Here comes big John!" It was a special time. I have only talked briefly with the Group 1 teachers, but they seem like incredible and kind people. So good news there.

When our business was over last night...Money, Jen, Raysa, Colleen, and I walked all the way into town.... Due to bad rumors Da Pub was open !!! The Nile Special a pint of super African business cost 2000/= or in American dollars about 88 cents. We had two beers and then began the long walk home. We decided that Colleen's first boda boda ride should not be in the dark. ON the walk home, a motor bike came up on us, and the driver said, "I want the large white man." Approximately 1.5 seconds later I heard the distinctive laughter of my friend Aliker David Martin whom I have known since 2007 and the first trip...

A great start....

feel free to comment.

1 comment:

terri said...

Great to hear you made it to Uganda safely. I love reading your words...you inspire me! I would honestly hope that we are judged by more than our one great week/year. Ideally it would be great if we had to throw out our best week and worst week, like you do with grades. Then we would continue to do better so we could keep the weeks like we had in Biloxi.
Take care of yourself!
Love ya,
Terri