Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Monday, July 3, 2023

4 girls in Uniform walking Home from School

 I saw these 4 young girls in pink shirts and blue skirts, laughing and talking.  In a different place one of the could have been Tessa, or Maggie, or Maura. They looked happy that the day was done and looked like they could have walked forever.  It turns out there daily walk to and from school was over an hour each way.  That is what it took so they did it each and every morning and each afternoon.  I need to walk more,  twice a month to St. Gabriel’s that should be a goal I can accomplish.  Have to start the walking school bus next year.  I am constantly amazed at how much the Ugandan students want to learn.  Earlier in the day it was 5 S2 boys around lunch.  I noticed one young man lagged from the group just so he could talk to me.  I told him I was a teacher of Mathematics in America, I asked how he did in Maths and he looked at me with pride and said loudly, “I do well in maths, Sir!”  Good thing I have 72 great 8th graders waiting for me in St. Louis or I might be staying.

    

1 comment:

Angela said...

We will be waiting