Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Everything has Value

     This morning I took a boda boda. (Motorcycle) into town to buy some envelopes to organize my expenses for the rest of the trip.  The ride of a mile or so cost me 57 cents.  On a ride earlier in the week, th boda driver told me he had to stop for petrol and gave the pump attendant 2000 shillings, enough for about a water bottle worth of petrol.  I bought the envelopes and walked past a shop that had several soccer balls on display.  All were used , but so,e were in pretty good shape.  In the last rack was a basketball with several panels coming off. It was for sale.  For some young one who could not afford the decent soccer balls, I guess the old basketball was to be his prize. It would not be displayed if someone was not going to buy it.

    I sometimes smile when I see recycle signs in Uganda, they are very thrifty and will reuse and repurpose a lot.  Plastic and plastic bags need working on.  But the plastic water bottles that started with water often are used 4 or five times and often that is how kerosene is sold to people.  It is easy to be here for a week and want to stop throwing so much away when I get home,  In Uganda old car wheels become grills to cook the Rolex (rolled eggs—breakfast burrito).  I usually come back more purposeful and conscious, you can let me know if you see it in my actions.

No comments: