Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Rain and Politeness

     So sitting in the Educate For Change office waiting for Isaac to start our math lesson.  In all of the modern improvements in Gulu, probably 94% of  people in this town traverse to work and to school by foot, by bike, or by boda boda.  So rain drastically effects what happens in a day.  The cool thing about a sudden rainstorm, especially in a smaller village is the people join together under whatever protection there is.  I have joined with a dozen people in an 18" by 8 foot region.  There it is instant community.  I have been cheered by strangers as I run to the shelter they have.  And then as soon as I reach that destination. "Sorry, Sorry!"  Ugandans are very sympathetic to small things that trouble our lives.  I trip on a sidewalk and several, "Sorry, Sorry's" will ring out from the people watching.  The manner in which it is said is also one of genuine caring.  They are honest about joining your pain or misfortune.  So I wait, rain is like mini-snow days around here.  And the other thing rain brings is mud.  Lots and lots of mud and mud puddles.  So far I have yet to step in a puddle and cover a pants leg with mud, but if I did in the middle of town, I know what I would hear.

No comments: