Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Friday, July 4, 2014

Women with Others--Part II

    Melissa Hopfinger in Gulu.  You can say what you want about Facebook,  but it allows me often to see my wonderful students and the Grace they are spreading in our world.  Jaime Mathieu and Andrea Hoelting walked the entire En Camimo--The Walk of St. James.  For those of who have watched those two live life,  we would all likely pay big money for film of their interactions with different people along the way.  Jaime is one of the elite Biloxi Superstars and I do not know one of Andrea's classmates that doesn't want to hang with her and watch her humor and laughter interact with others.  Spending time with these two had to be sheer joy for the travelers along En Camimo.

    I first learned Melissa was in Gulu through a Facebook post.  Pretty soon I was organizing a Coffee Hut meeting between her and Kristine Sullivan.   Now today I was at Ocer Jesuit being led across the school grounds to meet Hop.  I remember seeing Melissa when I made a surprise appearance at The Power & Light District in Kansas City for Caitlin Weir's birthday.  I was talking to Caitlin about her studies and graduate plans, when the subject switched to Melissa.  Caitlin and all of Melissa's classmates are so in awe of what she accomplishes, but also so comfortable with her.  She is just Hop, the ultimate buddy, the nothing bothers her girl, the great friend the great teammate.

     I am going to send this post to Emily Werner who coached Melissa in softball at Nerinx.  Emily will not be surprised about my stories or comments about Melissa.  It helps to know that Emily is one of the best coaches I ever coached with.  Who coached her team to be a true team, and inderstood that each athlete she coached was special in her own way.  These kids were great, but were even better after two years with Coach Werner.  Melissa was such a great teammate and a great kid to coach that we would laugh about how her doing great things was so ordinary. We would share conversations or deeds that she did with each other and just look at each other and smile.  "Of course, Melissa did that. Of course"  Fast forward, and I see young girl students approaching and smiling and greeting Melissa as they walked through the school yard.  Melissa has the same always approachable smile in Gulu that she welcomed freshmen softball players into her house for the annual   Sleepover at the Hop basement.  "Emily, you cannot believe Melissa in Uganda, but then of course you can it's Hop."

      It was great talking to Melissa about her future. I told several students and teachers at Ocer Jesuit Campion that Melissa was the best math student I have taught.  (Maggie C. And all my preCalc Honors or AP Calc students this year...I love you too).  Then I watched Melissa aw shucks her way out of this praise.  Melissa told me that Ecuador was going to be next, but now the Peace Corps was an option.  So here is this quadruple Math, Biology, Chemistry?  major (could be quintuple) kid who is choosing to place herself WITH those that need her help.  Crave her love, and relish her conversation like gold.  And Melissa is showing these girls that Math and Science are not only within their reach, but they can excel in these subjects.

     It was time to say goodbye, Melissa walked me to the boda stand and I had to walk out through the gate to meet the motorbike on the other side.  As I looked back through the fence, I saw 3 girls walk up to Melissa smiling and then they continued walking together down the path talking and laughing.  Hop WITH 3 students walking down a path in the middle of Uganda.

Of  course,  right Emily.

No comments: