Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

What happens to a dream deferred.....

     I thought I was going to join two different teachers for meals today. But T.I.A. and also apparently this old man is confused also. The young man I thought was a teacher at Layibi college named Okello John Kennedy was actually a student named Okello John Kenneth. He brought along his friend Raphael and both of the boys had been students at Pope Paul VI in Anaka. They had originally called me around 11 a.m. (A cat or large rat just ran under my feet). ntold them I could not go to lunch, because I was working with Isaac. I think Khan Academy is a great way for Isaac to transition into American math. The lesson with Isaac was over and I met John Kenneth and Raphael, I suggested lunch at Butterflies

       . We all ordered beans and rice, I was happy with my Orange Fanta and the two boys ordered Fruity Miranda. Half way through the meal I ordered chips (French fries). We talked about many things including the words French fries. They are two more young men, who have been derailed on their educational dreams by their inability to pay their school fees. That is why what Kristine and Laura are doing is so important. Www.educateforchange.us They are not only providing school fees and scholarships, but an all encompassing support system for more than 40 scholars.

          I wish I could win the lottery and provide young men and women a path to their educational dreams. Hell, I just wish I had been full-time for the last three years so I could do more here. I think about these two who after calling me this morning, just killed two hours by probably walking around and talking. just like they do every day .... I am glad to have helped Isaac this morning and the commitment I made to stay with him was the right choice, but it really does not make me feel any better about my contribution to the waiting time of my students, John Kenneth and Raphael.

No comments: