Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Monday, June 23, 2008

How Many Throws Does It Take to Smash a Car Window with a brick

If you said less than 12, you would have been wrong? I don’t know if it is my brick throwing ability or my choice of bricks, but at 1:48 a.m. Friday night in St. Louis, I could not break into my car. After a whole day of packing, a printer (one of the things I missed in Uganda), 2 U of I basketballs, 1 soccer ball, iPod speakers made the cut. Left behind were a towel (I will buy one in Kampala), several shirts, and a lot of little stuff.
Any way after I packed everything, I realized I did not have my wallet. Apparently, It may have been in my car that I left behind at my house, and then when I got there, some BIG DUMMY had locked it. So luckily I had parked the car in complete darkness, I worked open the back window and was taking random (used correctly students) stabs searching for the unlock button in the back. I decided I needed light, so I got a lamp from upstairs, a long extension cord, etc. As I pulled the extension cord, for more length, I knocked over the light, so I had to get a new light bulb. Too bad it was not on videotape (so you could have chuckled at me). After getting the lamp, cord, and chair outside, the lamp did a very poor job of illuminating the inside of my car to help me see.
So then I went with screwdriver and hammer trying to break a window—no luck!!
I then picked up a brick from my patio and start trying to bang in a side window. Twelve pretty good marks, but no breakage. WTH!!! I then went into my house to look for more methods, found a BIC fireplace lighter, held that inside of the car, and found the unlock button after 10 or 12 swipes. A very nice sound, indeed. So no sleep on the night, before two hours of traveling. Oh well. TINA—This is Not Africa. I am now traveling with 18 wonderful people, 4 veterans and myself, and 14 rookies.

I am now in Kampala at the BackPacker's Youth Hostel. We just had our first meeting and everyone is really ready to get into this experience. It seems like a really good group of teachers,--different styles, different looks, different methods, but all of us seem real committed to do our very best in the next month. Amy, the teaching coordinator, just told me she has not seen Nyeko Alfred at Awere when she visited. This news makes me a little apprehensive, as it is very important to see my friend. Don't worry I will find him, and I also can't wait to see how much Amos, Isa, Geoffrey, etc. have grown over the last year.

I will write again soon, think good thoughts for me and friends, and I assure you I will be thinking about you, and all the greatness and kindness I have seen from all of you in the past year.

Your teacher, your friend, your brother,

John

1 comment:

bigjohnmagee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.