Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Journey Begins Again

On Saturday morning at 5 am, I will begin the journey back to Northern Uganda, and my favorite city, Gulu. Of course, I will also visit my favorite village, Aloyo I Long, which roughly translates to "Man Who Pees Himself."

Although, I am 49 years old, and I am quite committed to helping solve the problems of poverty, disease, and hunger. There is part of me that still giggles at the last sentence in the last paragraph. If you know me, you know that this is true.

Last year, I went to Uganda with the financial support of so many friends and family. This year I am going with the kindness and lessons I have learned from so many of you.

This year, I go with the spirit and support of Phil Williams. He was my best friend, and each and every time I saw him--he made me feel special. Someone this year said at Mass, "That you find friends who remind you of what you like about yourself." I believe that is true, because I had a friend named Phil. I know that my 50 Biloxi students know that my friend Phil was there the entire week helping me and helping our group do our very best. The people of Gulu will never know Phil, know his laughter, know his kindness, know what a friend he was. So this year I go with that purpose, to spread his message, his love, and his friendship to all of the people who won't be lucky like me--- to have met, hugged, and laughed with Phil Williams.

I also go with the spirit of the Biloxi group. How can you have been on that trip and not feel that we can change the world? It is from that group, and all their little extra efforts that will remind me during the next 6 weeks, to always do a little bit more than my best. Giving them an 11 when 10 is perfect, might come from me, but it has it roots in all of you. And if I am able to do good on this trip, it is because of your efforts and your examples.

I go with the spirit of the Nerinx community, you are all so talented and so wonderful. And when I say great things about you as freshmen, go find the Seniors who I taught as freshmen in E 14, and ask them the great things they have already accomplished since they left freshment Algebra. I go with the kindness and the interest that so many of you shared with me after my presentation and slide show. Telling me that you too would be in Africa soon, making a difference. I believe you. My colleagues on the faculty who make me want to be a better teacher and a better man, through their examples and their kindness.

I go with the basketball tournament at Chaminade, and the Walk/Run at Parkway West, and the backyard basketball game in Oakville, I go with all of those good thoughts and good intentions, but mostly I go with the idea that all of those young people put ideas into action and from their action came results.

I go with great thoughts and wishes from friends I have known 30 years and smiles and handshakes from people who know me just from playing softball in the Blackthorn league. I go with the dreams of people who I have not met, but will follow my actions through this blog.

I go with the support of my family, 2 great sisters and a brother, and all three of them married great people!! I go with the well wishes of 7 nieces and 1 nephew, and 1 nephew who watches his uncle from above.

And I go with the support of my parents, who have taught me that faith is the most important thing we have. And who have shown me that example, daily for the last 40 years.

So thank you all, all of a sudden, my task seems quite easy.

John

3 comments:

The Lestmann's said...

Dear John,
We want to wish you all the best on your upcoming trip and will look forward to following all of your experiences on the blog. Take care and keep us posted about all the wonderful people you will meet and who will have the pleasure of meeting and working with you. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.
The Lestmann's

Melanie B said...

Good Luck Mr. Magee! We will keep you in our prayers.
- The Barnes Family

terese said...

Dear Coach,
Many prayers are with you and the people you will share your time with. Thank you for leading by example. Have some fun, too!