Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Saturday in Gulu

Today, I picked up six nails so I could hang up my clothes. Imagine that? And then I stopped at a new internet cafe and who was out in front my good friend, Okello Geoffrey. Geoffrey was one of the first people I met last year, and some of you might remember his picture with Kennedy. Kennedy had on a Naperville soccer shirt. So this is real good news, I have now seen Geoffrey, Samuel, and Julius, all part of the basketball gang. We are hoping to play again on Monday night at 5 pm. Geoffrey also tells me that Amos is in town, so I hope to see him also.

This morning, I went to Gulu SS to work with my teaching partner, Odawa Henry. There was a bit of a mixup, and I will be team teaching in Physics. So if you are reading this, Nerinx faculty, pray for me. But all will be well as today, I watched 120 students spend a better part of their Saturday willingly giving up their free time to study for the Senior 4 exams, UCE exams. They started their study session (they call it a seminar) at 9 am, and worked past 1 pm with only one break. So I did get a fast refresher course in Physics this morning. My sleep patterns are way off and I seem to nod off during the middle of the day. I don't think I snored, but I may have closed my eyes for a second or two during this session.

Then after the session, Henry and I walked to the Rainbow Inn where I bought him lunch. We had beef, rice, and dodo (spinach). We both ate for 9000/= which is just a little more than $5 US. We then went into the bar area and watched TV. After some American Chopper, Henry asked the bartender to change channels and we watched ESPN. They had football highlights on so I was able to talk to him about American Football. The whole country of Uganda is excited about the EuroCup Match Sunday Germany v. Spain. Geoffrey is a fan of Germany. Then the Yankees--Mets game came on and we watched the whole first inning. Did you ever try to explain baseball to someone who has never seen a game.\

Well that's it, Geoffrey is going to post immediately below this. So read his thoughts also.

John

p.s. there are some frustrating aspects of this past weekend, that I am struggling to work through, again your prayers and good thoughts all appreciated. But don't worry they are just obstacles, they are certainly conquerable.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Too bad I didn't read your post about the soccer cup before last night - I would have had one more right answer for our Trivia Night. Good luck on your first week of teaching!

Katie