Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

1st Day in Gulu, 1st Day of Training, Henry has a motorbike

So today was our first day of training, this looks like it could be one of the best groups I have been a part of. Sorry Class of 2008, okay you guys were cooler, but I am excited about the new blood and teacher talent.

I will be going to Atanga with Kevin Brehm and Bill Yukstas, hopefully I spelled both of those right. They were roommates at Penn State, so they have a good friendship, and seem really eager for the challenge at Atanga. I like there energy and commitment, and I am looking forward to working with these 2 new teachers at Atanga. Hopefully, we can continue the legacy of David Heimeck and Josh Robinson, two great teachers from last year. We are living this year in a hotel, Caterina Hotel, for those of you veterans it is in town, but a block east of Kope Cafe. I am in a new internet cafe, run by an American named Justin that has chocolate chip cookies and brownies.

After our meetings, I walked through the market (open-air is not quite right as it has a roof). The married couple, Lance and Justine and Anne Quigley who went with us to the Yankees game were with me. For some reason I was a big attraction in the fish market, as my presence caused quite a ruckus. But I rushed down to here to give everyone some idea of what was going on.

It looks like I am only going to be able to post on the weekends. Although, I did spend two different trips to the Garden City mall to correct that problem. If only I had Michael Coffey here I could have been connected, but Perez the MTN guy, and myself did not possess the knowledge to connect.

Dad, I might try sending you a long message tonight on your phone, kind of as a sample mini-blog post. You should count the words you receive---and try to post them.

Okay, the great moment of the day was as we were walking past the market. Henry, my teaching partner, rode by on his motorbike. A step up from the Budweiser bike he had last year. I was really happy to see him, and I think he was excited about the process of exchanging a year's worth of stories with him.

What should I tell him? The continual insanity of the basketball situation? No, I think this is a time for positives and superlatives. So I will tell him about the wonderful group that just went to Biloxi with me, and how young people can and will change our world. Maybe I will talk to him about the incredible friendship that Frank Hellwig showed me on my final night in America or the Gaffneys fixing my plumbing problem. Or mom and dad once again, covering my disorganization and allowing me to give to so many.

Apwoyo bene,

John

No comments: