Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Group 1, Birthdays and funny guys.

So the mini-blog may have worked. Here is the expanded version.

After a long dinner and several delayed meetings, we finally got to go out and release a little steam. We joined Group 1 at KSP (where I broke the chair last year) for a few refreshments. My fellow teachers encouraged me to have something they called beer. Not a bad taste, for my first time. It was a good time, my shyness was not a problem as I let others take the lead. Mostly I just sat back and observed. Group 1 was celebrating Joanna's birthday so we joined in with a few jokes and a few stories. I let Ryan, and Wild Bill Shilling lead the way, but for some reason when it came to her birthday dance, Joanna chose me. Well, I don't think I knew anything about dancing, but I gave it a try and Joanna was teaching me all kind of new steps. We were going to sing a special happy birthday, but our Theeeeeaaaaaaattttterrrrr people got cold feet. (AQ that is you). I also reacquainted myself with Lauren, an STLer, and Abby, and Runita, and Daneen. Phil went home because he did not want to hear more stories about his Tigers losing to our Cardinals. Lisa, who teaches at a Catholic school in Louisiana, kept telling jokes, but I eventually had to warn her that a lot of her jokes offended my sensibilities. Once we got over that hurdle, things were great. They ordered me a second beer, but I was unable to finish it. But it was a great time had by all. My Atanga partners Shilling Shilling Bill and Kevin (no nickname yet) liked the evening and we ended up in Ryan's room in a small space telling stories. Ryan and Mike have a larger room with a full kitchen, so it is easier to congregate there. A good night, all around.

Earlier in the day, one of the people on the trip, was having a series of misfortunes, and so I, John Magee, walked with her to the market and helped her find a dress. Yes, I know finally a chance to put my expertise in women's fashion into play.

by the way, I told them I was 50 years old, and they believed me.


Having fun before work starts,

John


p.s. I saw Odong Collins Otika today, so hopefully the schedule will allow me to play some basketball with him this weekend.

No comments: