Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Friday, June 26, 2009

Why We Teach

With absenteeism a problem at Atanga, and seeing a heartbroken father talk to the teachers at Atanga after he realized his daughter was not going to school. He had to stay a village a way to find work in the fields, and with him being gone his daughter was spending her day with friends, and not in school. I also saw another young man try to get a copy of his school records from the officials at Atanga. He was chastised for his attire, and told to come back another time. He came back an hour later, with a borrowed shirt, but the same tattered pants as before. He was not given his school records, and in very tough terms he was lectured by several of the teachers. It is hard to understand, as I saw the hurt and pain on his face, but maybe this tough lesson is exactly what he needed or maybe he is just a beaten man in a pretty beat up part of our world.

Bill said today, “The ones that attend, the ones that take notes, they will do anything to succeed. They will do anything you ask them.” So in this quiet village called Atanga, this in the end is why we are here. This is why you should continue to support Schools for Schools, and find a way to give a few extra dollars to Invisible Children. There are students here who are amazing. On Wednesday afternoon, I wandered up and talked to a few of the Senior 4 students (most equivalent to Juniors in America). It was the best conversation, they asked me a few questions about all of my students in America. I told them about Hey Day and Shout Week, and where St. Louis is on a map, but I really saw an amazing curiosity. I pray that these students continue to get a chance to move on with their education. In this group of 8 students was both the Head Boy and Head Girl. This position would be a combination of Stuco President, Dean of Students, Sports Captain, and Good Will Ambassador. They are amazing young men and women, just before I left for home on Tuesday, I also saw Otim John receive an application for Debate prefect from a perfect gentleman by the name of Komakech Tony Blair. Translated that means “unlucky man” Tony Blair. It is on these days that I realize how blessed I am by old friends, former students, and family. And also how lucky I am to see new friends both Ugandan and American that I have met this summer. I have strived to live a patient life these past weeks and not let frustrations or obstacles spill out. I guess I have to, for this small time, I am Atangan.

No comments: