Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Lisa Swetman is Amazing and so much more!!!!

Okay I am starting out by asking you to leave this page, go to iTunes and buy a song from Lisa Swetman. I am offering a double your money back guarantee, if you do not like her work.

Let's see, where should I start. I found a free few hours in the day and went back to visit Awere SS, my first school here, and still a very special place in my heart. I visited the head teacher Matthew, who is working hard to make his school and his students, something special. He talked to me about encouraging the Discipline of Reading into his school. Many teachers, even maths teachers, know that kids that love to read and do read will have the world opened to them. Matthew showed me the architects plans for a library that will hold more than a 100 students. Awere SS, which has been a displaced school because of the war, is moving back to their old location. I wish Matthew and Awere SS the best and the students there remain phenomenal.

Next, Joanna E. was starting an afternoon Hip-Hop club for Awere students. So I joined her, Lauren H. (my STL buddy), and Abby H. (my arch enemy and best friend) in cajoling the students to dance. The students had a fun time watching 4 munus dancing. They actually played "Single Ladies" and sorry Janet Csolak, I forgot the steps. It was fun, it was also visually fun to see Joanna, a tall young woman who carries herself with such a grace and classiness to "boogie down" with the Awere SS students. Lauren H. competed in a dance off with one young man and held her own until he stood on his head and shoulder after a break dance move. Abby and Joanna also rapped the Fresh Prince.

After that and much sweating in my shirt and tie, we walked to dinner with 20 teachers through Gulu. A white people parade if you will. I stayed back a little to see if a young girl who was hurt was okay. 2 young boys, shouted at me in Lwo and laughed loudly. Two women carrying their babies, asked if I knew what they said. They told me, the boys said, "Look it is Jesus, we knew he would be tall." I laughed with the women, and I guess I have a beard now with that comment.

The dinner was great, I will be working with Otim John. Otim means "born far away" because he was born in Kenya when his father was working there. He is a great man, Shilling Shilling Bill also has a great partner and Kevin seems like he will be a great fit also. I am so so ready to teach. I am so ready for Atanga, but those stories will have to wait for next week. With maybe mini-updates through the week. So many dedicated teachers together have to be good for our students.

LISA SWETMAN, remember the name, she is a vibrant young woman, who snorts when she laughs, she greets each and every person with a smile that is so welcoming and so fresh that you are more alive. I rushed out of the dinner, because she was singing at Bambu. I got there just in time from a boda boda who drove me 80 meters. I did not quite know where I was, so I paid him 1000 /= for his cleverness.

But anyway, most of you know who talented Lisa is because you have downloaded one of her songs and are listening to it know. She sang her songs, but not all of them because not all of her songs were guitar songs. All of you Nerinx students, and my nieces spread the word about her. I want mega downloads from all of you. It is not only great music, but she is my friend and she is over here sharing her talents with the Acholi, so help her out. BUY HER MUSIC--She will be famous some day, and you can say I knew her well. I am seriously negotiating for her to come up to Jazz at the Bistro, Mitch's place, for a September or October show. You are all invited. Her song "Waste of Time" has so much zest and personality in it. Seriously, have you listened to it yet.

Abby H. who loves Lisa's music as much as me, was sitting quietly on the couch, listening, not engaging in any chit chat, just really putting herself with the music. Mick, the Irishmen, was singing when I came in, and I kept thinking quit hogging the guitar--I want to hear my girl. But after Lisa, had played several songs. Mick after talking about Ireland, sang a song about the tough times there. It is by Phil Coulter "The town I love so well". So in the middle of a beautiful Ugandan night surrounded by good friends. I was sitting on a couch with Abby and Lisa and Mick were on another couch facing ours. It might have been one of my favorite songs I have ever heard.

Think for a moment, I was listening to an Irishman with real pride, signing about his people, and how they had overcome so many obstacles and so much violence-- in a country that was trying to do the same thing. How I am so blessed to be in this moment at this time. It truly was beautiful ("Did you know we could do that?"). As I sat there listening, several tears ran down my face. I did not brush them away, as I was afraid, that moving only the slightest would break the magic or disrespect the message that Mick was singing about. Next to me, Abby was just as silent as I.

When he is not the singing, storytelling Irishman in the middle of the bar Mick is part of a Danish NGO, dismantling land mines in Uganda. He is also making sure young children can return to their villages, where there are no RPGs or machine gun bullets that can maim or kill them. He told me he spent 12 years in Anti-Terror in the Irish Army. He told me proudly, "That he will see one Ireland united in his lifetime, but it will not be by their methods (killing and violence)."

"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that our world is place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our ancestors is alive in our time; who still questions the power of democracy, the power of kindness, or the power of laughter and music" (sorry Barrack, I stole) then I encourage you to come to an uncomfortable couch in a bamboo bar in the middle of dirt roads in the middle of Gulu and listen to a young blonde American angel and an Irishman sing.

I believe in all of us, and sometimes when I forget you all remind me in such
a wonderful way.

Most importantly I believe in you.

Go do something great today! or make the smallest moment great with a smile and a song.

Wanen Lachen,

John

2 comments:

jrob1315 said...

john,

I am so proud that you are back in Uganda. I miss that I could not go there so much but its good to know that wonderful people like yourself are there to help out the great people of Uganda. I will be all over the blog so keep me posted. I have to live vicariously through you so make it good. Have a Nile special for me.

Take care,
Josh Robinson

jrob1315 said...

john,

I am so proud that you are back in Uganda. I miss that I could not go there so much but its good to know that wonderful people like yourself are there to help out the great people of Uganda. I will be all over the blog so keep me posted. I have to live vicariously through you so make it good. Have a Nile special for me.

Take care,
Josh Robinson