Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Saturday, June 21, 2014

A Rebel, a knight, a marker, an angel, a red knight, a saint, and a bear

“Scripture scholars contend that the original language of the Beatitudes should not be rendered as "Blessed are the single-hearted" or "Blessed are the peacemakers" or "Blessed are those who struggle for justice." Greater precision in translation would say, "You're in the right place if...you are single-hearted or work for peace." The Beatitudes is not a spirituality, after all. It's a geography. It tells us where to stand.” ― Gregory Boyle, Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion.

     So tomorrow, I start the journey again. I believe He has told me again to stand in Uganda. That is the geography I see. I join my good friends Kristine and Laura who have now committed their lives to the sharing of knowledge wrapped in love. And I join Ronald and Geoffrey and Julius and Collins and so many students who have amazed me with their determination. I stand with them in kinship. I go with the support of so many, and I vow to live simply so more of your dollars help our friends in Uganda. You, my friends, know I can not do what I do without you. Each gift of $20 or the really big ones fills me with pride and is so amazing to me. I hope someday I can return your gifts in some way. Humbly, you may still contribute as the miracle of the Internet will allow these funds to find me in Uganda. Www.gofundme/mageeinuganda And most importantly I go with all of you, my feet will be on the ground, but all of you are with me.

     My wonderful mom and dad who have inspired me with how they live the Gospel. My students...my students. Do you know how much you have inspired me? You are so amazing and each day I taught you I learned something new. You have taught me more kindness, more dilligence, more laughter, more compassion, and most of all you taught me how to love. Better, stronger love that can only come when we listen to each other.

 So if you are a Rebel, a Knight or a Marker.
 An Angel, A Red Knight or a Bear.
If you are a Saint (or even a sinner)
You are THE ONE who opens my heart
 And teaches me to care.

 oteka John

No comments: