Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Friendship along the way

    On my way home this afternoon, I met a young man named Malcolm along the way. He immediately walked towards me with a smile and greeted me like we were long lost friends. There are so many students that I have taught over the years, and the remember me because of my height. It turns out that this young man, Malcolm was none of these. Malcolm told me almost immediately that his father told him before he died, "Make friends along the way, introduce yourselves to strangers, because often friendships can happen."

     What a tragedy that young man was not with his father, but what remarkable advice his father had left him. We need to be intentional in our dealings with others. The 9 new people I met in Biloxi all left me with something. their wisdom and their kindness along with their willingness to listen made this trip one of the best ever. How do you become friends with someone in a week. first, you have to step through some comfort zones and what is normal in our culture. You have to ask questions and then listen to their answers. but then as my friend Malcolm says maybe, just maybe we have friendship along the way.

      I saw Robert today who lived on Murdoch for a month and taught at SLUH. He told me that he now has three children and the older two were growing up fast. He inquired about the health and welfare of my mom and dad. We have made plans to get together for dinner with the whole family. Lunch today at Alulululu was a great start to the summer. Tomorrow I have lunch with a young man at a crossroads in his life, so there will be two of tomorrow eating pork that can greatly benefit from your prayers.

       Especially prayers from my new friends Dan and Mike and of course the wonderful Mais Agua de Fria, the always smiling Digger Girl, the courageous Rattlesnake, the always helpful Scooter, the compassionate H.I.T.T., the amazing Kate, and the ever ready Scout.

1 comment:

PNH Debate I said...

Such a nice entry! I said it then and it is more apparent now...such a great group of kids and dads...and leader! I've never seen such a compassionate group of people and that all begins at the top!