Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Seeing the face of God

     Today was an amazing day. I had plans to be at the ordination at St. Joseph's Cathedral and later meet Father Leonsyo. I thought my sleep patterns were getting better, but I managed to crawl back in bed for 5 minutes after breakfast and woke up way too late. I hurried to the bath at the end of the hall, showered quickly and put on as much deodorant as my body could stand. I definitely knew I would sweat today. Shirt and tie on, I found a boda boda to take me the Cathedral. I knew the regular road was being worked on, and I thought we would take the back roads, but this boda driver elected the main road. Probably a big mistake, I am always hoping that I will not  be tossed off the boda for e eighth time.

    For some reason they are now large moguls in this road, don't ask me why, but an unsteady boda driver and a fat man are not usually the recipe for success at the Ugandan X games. He also did not have sunglasses so when the big trucks came down the road we were both buried in a cloud of dust. I did not fall off and we go to the Cathedral, very dusty but safe.

    As sometimes happens at these ceremonies, I was greeted immediately by a friendly face. Okello John Kennedy who is a teacher at Layibi College (it is a high school) welcomed me and introduced himself.  THIS LAST SENTENCE IS WRONG.  His name is Okello John Kenneth and if you read the more recent posts, I have lunch with him.  I. was amazed at the pageantry, the bright colors of the dresses, and the spirit and passion in the way the people of Gulu sang the hymns. I was really in awe and tried my best to follow the responses in English when the entire service was in Lwo. I was trying to figure out how to go to Communion down the center aisle. I wanted people to see that I was there because I knew I had friends there that did not know I was in Gulu. As I was thinking this, a young woman came and got me and told me I was supposed to sit up by the priests. I was quickly moved behind the altar and to the other side.

     This was an outdoor service with at least 3000 people. Now at the beginning of communion they are sitting me in the front row of dignitaries under a shaded tent. You are a visitor, and we know you are our friend....so we will give you best seat. As I was so humbled, communion had begun I walked to take my place in line and I see both a professional videographer and a still camera moving their tripods quickly so they can have film of the tall white guy taking communion. I was immediately overwhelmed by the moment and a tear slid down my cheek. I felt like sobbing, but refocused on receiving the Eucharist and returned to my seat. I do not know how to describe the Mass and the songs and the dancing and the War chants in the middle of the hymns. I feel it is a scene that only God can create.

     The festive dress and the respect shown by the elders, the songs and the praise of the young people and the choir. the rows of nuns earnestly praying together. This was a Mass and I felt so strong in my Faith and such a kinship with the people of Gulu. Father Boyle tells a story where after listening to the story of redemption from one of the Homies, the flight attendant breaks down and cries. The youn man is confused and sorry that he made the flight attendant cry. Father Boyle reassures the young man by saying that is okay my son. "Some people cry when they see the face of God." ........
 

No comments: