Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Looking at Stars --One at a time

     One child at a time. It seems so simple, that we sometimes look past its simplicity. Over the last few years, I have had the great fortune to work with one child at a time. These alleged "struggling" students were able to shine quite brightly when they worked by themselves. Parents have gushed over my abilities to help their daughters, but I think anyone who committed to spend the time and learn and listen to the student could have done the same thing. It is a challenge for teachers to teacher students one at a time when you have over 100, but it is possible. And needs to be done. And all it takes...is to simple care. And then what a joy it can be to sit back and see these amazing students shine, and how they do shine!

      "I see in my students what they do not see in themselves, until they do." Quote stolen from Father Boyle. Today, I started to work with a young man in Gulu. His name is Isaac. And in him I already see kindness, and diligence, and a smile, and if I listen closely I can start to hear his dreams. Isaac is preparing to move across the world and learn in a high school in Oregon. He is going because Educate for Change a.k.a. Kristine and Laura simply care. The amazing thing is I am now watching World Cup in the northern Uganda night.

       And to my right, I can see Isaac is watching the World Cup with a smiling, hardworking crew of high school kids from Oregon. Surprise, surprise a group of high school students is working above expectations in helping others. Several of the students will be classmates with Isaac in Oregon. They are talking and laughing, and one of the Oregon students had her 18th birthday tonight. So many memories, for all these young people. I usually can look into the Gulu sky and see so many amazing stars.

        The Ugandan night is breathtaking with its plethora of stars. I am outside watching World Cup and look up and see no stars. Is it too cloudy? Or am I just looking in the wrong place. There are many, many stars here tonight.

No comments: