Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Thursday, June 16, 2016

An Undelivered Message

Today, as I was getting my phone reconfigured, I found 3 messages that made no sense.  Eventually Melissa reminded me that Claire had my phone last, Claire never got them and although, I did not go back to read them, I remembered they were loving and caring.  Claire missed these messages, but I do know that Claire knows that she is loved.  The proof is simple, she loves her life as a caring and loving person and that my friends does not happen accidentally.

But I think about the ones who do not receive their messages.  Sometimes as we see in the Micah Center in Biloxi, not receiving those messages can have long term effects on men and women.  As I am thinking of these ideas, I am challenged by the words of our hostess, Anita.  In the middle of Kampala she is working all day for the Jesuits, and then comes home to cook us a magnificent dinner even after she had to work late.  A good accountant, a great cook are not her best talents that I have seen in my day and a half here.   We have not met all of her children as several are at boarding school, and different cousins and others seem to pop up constantly to be of service.  Her best talent is that every member of this family is loved and encouraged.  Anita introduced herself as being a Happy Ugandan when we first met her and she has earned that statement, but mostly because she makes others happy with her constant attention and love. Today, we saw mostly the younger two,  there was a little girl who never ran out of energy.  Hayley definitely found a friend. and there was a little boy who has very special needs and who laughed when his siter ran even though he could not. Anita talked about some of her obstacles in raising her son in Uganda. She has had choices, but always seem to have taken the most courageous, the most loving path.  Tonight after the long work day, and he wonderful meal, she then heated water for all of us to shower. There is no doubt that family and friends of Anita and Allen always get their messages delivered.

Today is my parents' 60 th wedding anniversary and their messages of love were always delivered. So tomorrow we leave for Gulu with my new 3 week family of Hayley, Ani and Melissa (will join in 2 days).  We take the love and the strengths of our own families in America and our new family in Kampala to Gulu.  Hopefwully if we do our best we can deliver a couple messages to the students of Gulu.

John.

No comments: