Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Just a little what's new

Another couple of good days.  Hayley taught again at Favor of God for the second day.  Yesterday, she was the first white person in the history of the school to teach a class.  Hayley blurb: "I taught geometry and English again today for the P4s. I'm starting to get used to being called 'madame,' which is a little more fun than Miss K. At break time when the kindergarteners were playing I walked out and stopped by a few little ones playing on the ground. They don't know much English aside from "I'm fine" so I figured playing instead of talking would work out better. I got on the ground and drew a smiley face in the dirt. In a matter of seconds I had a swarm of probably 20 or so kinders. They were laughing so hard at it that I ended up drawing a whole person on the ground and they decided to name it Michelle for the sole reason that that was the name of the 2 foot tall human on my arm at the moment. The second I stood up, I had almost all 20 kinders hanging on me. They honestly wanted nothing more than to hold onto my hands and click the buttons on my watch. After 10 minutes of that, I made the (sort of) mistake of twirling around one little one who had my finger. I think I spent about 15 minutes twirling kids to the point that I thought they were going to yank my fingers off! Just another great day in Gulu!"
After dropping her off, I was going to meet Melissa at Gulu University to return her phone that ended up in my possession. We decided Gulu U. was a good half way point.  With not a lot to do at 8 a.m. I just started walking, at 9:12 Melissa called me and was just waking, no problem I figure it would take her about 15 minutes to get ready and with a boda I would see her in 25 minutes.  Apparently her Statistics teacher did a poor job of teaching her either mean or median,  as I walked almost to her from door to deliver her phone. So hopefully, 2 hour and 26 minute walk helped me get in shape.  Kristine got in town today, so the three Teacher buddies reconnected as Sarah was also there.  We started out in The Iron Donkey (the former Kope cafe) and ended up at Cafe Larem.  Hayley even got in a little "girl time" with Sarah as they wandered off to shop.  Hayley and I are contemplating some traditional dance performance at 9:30, but is poring a 7 a.m. So who knows.

No comments: