Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Our New Family -- Part II"

Note:: Sometimes when the posts get long they are very difficult to edit on my iPad.  If you have not read Part I,

      In a mud hut down the longest "1 kilometer" road in Lacekocot, we still had the formality of a former British Colony.  I was the 6th of the 8 scheduled speakers for this program. As they all praised me and thanked me, I also realize I could have done more for Ronald.  As Ronald's uncle talked in Lwo, I realized that I wish I had gotten a copy of Marian Wright Edelman's A Measure of Our Success for Ronald.   Ronald's uncle said it was the three of us: Ronald's mom, himself, and I who had helped this boy succeed.  He wanted me to know that I was now a part of the family.

      " This hut in Lacekocot was now my home."  How do you follow that? It turns out I would use Marian's words, "Home remains as you go out to serve and conquer the world. And I always follow you wherever you go in spirit, in prayer, and in love. You are never alone."  I began,  "Home remains,"  I paused and Alfred translated, "Gang bedo,".    I  tried to let them know,  that I not only accepted their invitation, but we WERE family.

        This year I was watching the evening news and a refugee shouted at a Hungarian cracking down on the refugees, "We are human, you are human, why will you not help us."  I do not think I will ever forget that man's face or his question.   We can help each other and should help each other.  There was not a time in my life when I was supposed to be "helping" people that I did not receive more in return.

         In a small hut down a 1 kilometer road, we found an answer much different than the xenophobia in Brexit or the racism of Trump, we were family.  It is what we should all strive to do.  The fact that Hayley Kuehner was still sitting in her sturdy chair, made it even more special.  The Kuehner's have through their kindness and their camaraderie have made me feel like I am part of their family.  As I write this, either a man from Ghana or his American wife will be cutting my grass, hopefully while their two boys ride bikes down my driveway.  If you are reading this, you a part of my family, and I could not have helped Ronald without you. Your help, your love or as my neighbor Alfred says, "just a conversation."

One Family--One Love*--One World

*for Hayley and all the ones who have sang our song.

     

No comments: