Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Old Boys II--Julius and Geoffrey

Somehow, Julius became acquainted with other teachers in Invisible Children Teacher Exchange.  I also remember him asking me and others to attend a show of music and traditional dance.  For some reason I did not go,  I regret that decision every time I see Julius.  Julius might be the most caring and  helpful person I know in Gulu.  It seems that every time I am in Gulu, Julius comes and helps me do something that becomes many times easier than if I woud have attempted it myself.  He is always ready and is always prompt.  He is always very dependable,  in other words a great friend to have.  An American group, I think maybe out of Texas, has hired Julius to work at their radio station and help out with their Christian ministry.  Hayley and I are meeting Julius today to work on a program for Hayley possibly.

Geoffrey,  I have known since the beginning, it only took me four years to realize that he had grown up as a child of the streets,  and has amazingly put himself all the way through secondary school.  Yesterday, he was telling Hayley that he made a choice away from the "dirty" life and decided to live the good life.  Geoffrey has had a real tough time and I am dismayed that I was not able to help him in the past.   Now he has made some great strides and is the groundskeeper at a 24 hour clinic.  The people there are realizing what a smart young man he is, and they are expanding his duties.  At the same time,  he is getting a business certificate of study.  I am very proud of the young man he was, he is, and he will become.  I will be praying for him  with the others.  I wish I  could somehow open a business in Gulu and put these 4 guys in charge.

Hayley and I got up at 7 a.m.   We finally got power last night after our first 26 hours without power in Gulu.  We took boda bodas to Catholic Mass in a class room at Gulu High.  It is my favorite thing to do in Gulu.  Jumping in now I will let Hayley describe her thoughts, "Just like everyone I have met, the students at Gulu High were very welcoming and friendly. I feel like I've used the word "friendly" a lot lately but it's because so many of the people I've met or simply said hi to have been friendly. You just don't find that very often at home. We were clearly a little lost walking around the school's campus so a young girl left the protestant mass she was sitting I to walk us over to the catholic mass in another classroom. Surprise, surprise another extremely friendly person! I was in awe for the first few minutes of mass. The singing and chanting blew me away. The students seemed so passionate about their worship. There wasn't a priest available so a small nun led the mass. At the end they invited us to stand up and speak and thanked us for visiting them. It's not even noon but I've already had the best day. Also shoutout to free wifi at small coffee shops."

No comments: