Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Old Boys -- Ronald, Amos, Julius, and Geoffrey

So in Ugandan schools, the alumni are the Old Boys, or as I once heard Ronald say, "I am an O.B.  of Atanga SS ." These words are uttered with such a sense of accomplishment and pride.  I am an O.B. Of St. Louis University High school and I hope that I will say that in pride some day when I meet a SLUH guy in Gulu.

So this is a story about the O.B. s. the boys I have each known for a long time. Each with their own stories each with their own dreams. Ronald was a student that was handed over to me by two Americans I have lost touch with Josh Robinson and David Heimeck.  They were the first group of teachers to spend a whole week in the village and really be a part of the community of Lacekoyot and Atanga SS.  Ronald so impressed Josh and David that they immediately talked to me about how they could help him in school.  They knew that I had done small bit for a boy named . . . Amos.  Ronald has been a part of my life ever since, he is one week away from completing his studies as a graduate of the Gulu University.  Ronald has overcome many obstacles to do this, and now we need some prayers to help him find a job then a career that is worthy of his character and perseverance.

Amos is really one of the first Ugandans I have ever talked to.  If you read this blog,  you will remember the debate I had with Amos over how the chickens found their way home at night.  "John, do you not see that the chicken has two eyes!"  Amos was a very sharp primary student when I first ment him and originally went to Kampala to find a better education, but was sidetracked several times due to school fees and other obstacles.  He is still a bright, energetic young man who has now found his way back to Gulu.  He has a job at the Churchill Courts, a luxury hotel in Gulu, and is working towards using this job to move onto better things or maybe go back for additional schooling.  Today, Hayley and I had to move our 120 lbs. of luxury from our nice hotel ($45 a night) to our regular Gulu accommodations at the Cosmo House ($7 a night).  Amos was going to arrange to have a truck meet us to do the moving.  At the last minute it started to rain so Amos switched the truck to a car so our stuff would stay dry.  I tell you this one is sharp.

Tomorrow-- Julius and Geoffrey

No comments: