Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Monday, July 7, 2008

Gulu Senior

This morning we began our first real week of team teaching. I got to school about 730 am and right away we began preparing for four physics classes. Just to let you know, I am teaching 7 streams of Senior 2 Physics-- Senior 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, and 2G. At first, I thought each stream would have 3 40 minute sections a week, but now it seems that two of them only meet twice a week. Each student is taking 10 different subjects, and they are quite busy. They stay in the same classroom all day, and the teachers move to the different classes. This year, because of so, so many students Senior 2 ends their school day at 1:20 pm, and the Senior 1 students then come in for a ful day that ends at 5. Let's see what else can I tell you---the students are very polite and do all the work around the school. They do not even want me to carry my own chair. So every time I go into a classroom, Odawa Henry asks the closest student to get a chair for me and carry it to our classroom. Students always stop what they are doing and get my chair before carrying on with what they are doing. My teaching partner, like many teachers here, teaches at more than one school to make a decent living. Today Henry showed me what he is doing at one of his other schools, and I will be going with him to teach there tomorrow.

We spent a nice relaxing weekend with all of our crew together. Saturday, it seemed like I kept sweating and getting clean several times. We played many volleyball games including a classic three game match where our team got a big dig with the game tied 13-13 in the final game. Yesterday, David and I tried to go to English Mass at 11 am. When we got there we noticed the Mass was still at the homily and in Luo. So we sat done in the side vestibule. Heard at least 14 minutes of a sermon in Luo, urging us very strongly to "do something" what I do not know, got communion, and the Mass ended. Immediately the church filled with a new group of people, and about 7 minutes later an English Mass started. We stayed through the homily, and left. So we figured we had it covered, especially since we got there at 10:45 am and did not leave until 12:45 pm. On the way back we stopped at Prince supermarket, dubbed the "Wal-mart" of Gulu. I have kind of a sore throat and a cold, so if I had to reread this, I bet this entry is really boring. Sorry, tomorrow's will be better.

No comments: