Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Friday, July 4, 2008

Hearts Game

Yesterday, I went into town to buy a case of beer for my friends who would be returning from the IDP camps. It was 25 pint bottles and was a little bit heavy. So I hired 2 boda bodas (1 for me, and 1 for the beer). It is weird because the Acholi are such an honest people that I would not think for a moment anything else would happen. But then again it is beer, so I had to keep an eye on it. I told them to let the beer go first, and we would follow, but they crossed me up, so I had to turn around to keep an eye on the beer. Kind of a funny scenario, actually, the beer ended up tipping the boda boda driver better than I. Kind of a good guy, that case of beer!!! Anyway, David and Josh came back from Atonga camp and they are teaching in a school located in an IDP camp. Their experience and dedication is so full of interesting stories. Josh saw naked babies, running around with chickens and goats. And he said the people in the Pader district were actually touching him to see if he was kind of real. Not many Mzungus, make it to these villages. Apparently, the little children were also a little curious also, as they peaked under the stall as one of them was "showering". For discretion purposes we will not name the one that is not Josh. Then Big Matt, Trisha (from Awere last year), and Danielle (also a veteran) came back from the Pabo camp. They shared similar experiences, but I think the two women might be ganging up on Matt. He might need some help in latter weeks, before they can "mold" him into the "perfect man". The evening ended with beers and playing Hearts. If you can believe it, I am kind of an obnoxious winner or so they say. Anne Q. from the first group joined us for conversation and spun disks on my computer. She was amazed at my collection of music (Thanks Nerinx students for the Taylor Swift and Rihannon selections) and the wide disparity. It was a good night for new friends. BUT MATT IS A CUBS FAN so I really need everyone to get the Cardinals to win this weekend, I need bragging rights.

John

1 comment:

terese said...

Coach,
Thanks for blogging! It's fun to hear about your adventures and friends. Happy 4th of July!