Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Sad Realities, Joyful People

I found out the stories of Moses and Geoffrey who have now been on this blog through photographs the past two years. In an earlier post, I stated that the kids at St. Jude's are not really orphans, but usually have family who will hopefully return. Not so for these two. Moses was found as an infant after his entire village was destroyed during the war. Since so many died, it was unable to be determined whose child or from what family he came. Moses always wanted me to pick him up. He would look at me with that unbelievable smile and outstretched arms and motion for me to lift him high. He wanted me to carry him. Much like the title of this blog. We really need to reach out and look who is smiling at us, and maybe pick them up for just awhile. So many smiles out of this child, I hope he will find a path of education, support, and happiness after this unbelievable start.
Geoffrey is HIV positive, and has already struggled through a couple of bouts of the illness, where he was not expected to survive. He is much more guarded that Geoffrey, especially last year when I had to coax him away from the recesses of the blue building. But he is a still a child that loves to play, and reaches out to you with open hand of friendship. He just wants you to hold his hand, you can see that in the picture.
I do not know if I have talked politics before in this blog, but as a wise elder in Uganda said last year. "If America woke up at breakfast and cared about the situation in Northern Uganda, our problems would be over by dinner." Right now you cannot do much about the plight of Moses and Geoffrey, but your Senator or congressman is a google search and a quick e-mail away right now. Just say, "I care about the people of Northern Uganda, and I want to know what we are doing to try to ease their suffering and protect their ability to live in their homes, go to school, and for the children just to have the opportunity to play."


I know this was a tougher entry to read then most, and sometimes when I start typing I have no idea where I am going. But do not despair, the Acholi people are a wonderfully resilient people. There are more people than ever in downtown Gulu, businesses are springing up. More people are playing basketball, and they invite you into their homes, into their shops, and into their schools, with the most inviting smiles. These people will win in the end, they will truly have earned the peace they are working towards, but a big friendly Uncle Sam can help that process. I know they love giants here.

John

how about getting those Cardinals to win 6 in a row.


2 comments:

Chuck said...

I will write, call and even try to visit the Senators and Representatives.

Keep rooting for the Cardinals.

I'm stuck in Philly Land, but we have Cardinals in the trees in the neighborhood.

Tell Trisha, .."Hugs from Dad"

Chuck said...

Because Lake Victoria is so large, and so many streams flow out of it and go north, No matter where you are in Uganda, you are always in or near De Nile.

[ Groan ]