Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Mid-Term Physics Final Gulu Style

Today was the Senior 2 mid-term exam for streams S2A,S2B, S2C, S2D, S2E, S2F, and S2G. Translation, we needed a place for more than 400 students to take the final. I have pictures, but not my camera cord, so you are going to have to wait. But with two or three to a typical Ugandan desk, the library held 326 students (I counted them!), and I thought there is no way Casey's class got 400 plus in this room. Then I went outside and saw that one every square inch of porch there was a student taking the test, some even in the grass. I counted them, and we had a total of 407 who took the 1.5 hour long test. There was some confusion getting them to sit down, and some confusion getting them to turn in their tests by the right stream, but in the end it all worked out. I would say it is probably not likely that some students did not see an answer or two from somebody literally sitting next to them, but for the most part it looked like each student was doing his/her own work. Even the kid who was outside precariously balanced on 6 bricks stacked on top of each other to reach the surface of his wood desk.

Last night, we had dinner at the Acholi Inn to honor the 12 or so high school kids who were the leading or the most creative fundraisers for the School 4 Schools program. The people who I have met in the last two years are some very dedicated and committed young professionals. The passion that Adam Rinck, Katie Braedel, Sarah Hartley, Jamie, and of course Madame Laker Jolly Okot bring to their work is extraordinary, but if not for the goofy and creative ideas of 15, 16, and 17 year old American teenagers, this program would be almost nowhere. So my colleagues who do the wonderful things for Invisible Children remain extraordinary, but they do stand on the shoulders of students who stand on the shoulders of students, ......

Once again, when people doubt that we can END HUNGER AND EXTREME POVERTY BY 2025, and remain cynical about that assertation. I ask these same people to go to the high school and see the kindness, the effort, and the concern for the whole world (not just their little corner) that these students demonstrate. The pursuit of their dream for a better world is phenomenal.

John

2 comments:

Patti Powers said...

Hi Julio

Sounds like you are having another incredible summer experience. I'm so glad you are enjoying everyone and everything so much. Your dedication and passion for this great adventure is admirable. When I grow up I want to be just like you! Keep the stories coming.
Everythings good here.

Patti

Patti

John Magee said...

Patti,

You are now part of my Uganda plans. Aliker David Martin is my good friend. He is also I think the head of Rotary here. He will be coming to the US soon as part of a conference. My plan is for him to spend a day or two in Chicago/Naperville as part of his trip. And maybe speak to your club. We (me and possibly your Rotarians would just have to get him a RT ticket to ORD). STill in the planning stages, but I think this could happen.

John