Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Saturday, June 30, 2012

52 years without wife...what is wrong

A good day on Thursday at school. It started out the same, but I soon found out that my teaching partner Okidi Polycarp was to be at a meeting with the Head Teacher, so I volunteered to teach the classes myself. I taught the Senior 2 students Vectors, the Senior 3 students Cumulative Frequency Polygons and Ogives and I taught the Senior 4 students Combined Matrix Transformations. There was some extra time with Senior 4 so I let them write anonymous questions on small sheets of paper and I would answer them. They are really curious about life in America and most want to visit. They asked several questions and soon it was time to go. I stuffed the remaining slips in my pocket. I sat down in the staff room and looked at the ones I did not answer. My favorite (and I have a picture) was the title of the post. "52 years old without wife what is wrong". ... Quite amusing to me. Being my age and single is unheard of in Uganada. But before that laugh several students found me at around 4:00 pm and we did an hour and a half of math before I left. Heaven. The students at the end of Senior 4 take cumulative tests over 4 years of each of their subjects. These tests are the sole basis of who makes it to the University level or not. Pretty important tests and as I was given them help it dawned on me that there is very little instruction on how to take a tests. The first problem had an 8 and a 17 in it so my mind immediately went to a 8-15-17 Pythagorean triple, but they did not know this little trick. The funny thing was three problems later we had the same triple in a completely different problem....Any way a great day. I had already decided not to ride my bike, my body was tired, so our little math group walked home with one of the students Patrick on my bike. He told me we would not beat the ran and we did not. We were all soaked to the bone, but as we walked through town, the town was enjoying the predicament of the large American. They were all huddled under overhangs of various shops, and I hollered out, "I don't think the heavy stuff is coming down yet." Might post in a couple of hours, we had a great 4th of July party last night. All is well.

3 comments:

Katie said...

hiJohn, I'm back from CT after spending a week with the nuns. Even living there in their simplicity isn't like how you are living but it is true that a week of living simply and with prayer makes you realize how much excess we have and how wonderful a week of gratitude can be. Love you so much - grateful for you for all you are experiencing right now.
Katie

John Magee said...

Thanks for the comments. I really do get excited whenI I get a comment.

Ed said...

given the chance to ask you a question I would go for "do you still consider yourself the best short end water polo goalie in St Louis history?" -- but I wouldn't write it down I would send a text...