Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Finding the Perfect Line

Second day of riding home on the bike, if you want to get the description of the route, click back to the entries from 2009, and again I was trying to find that perfect line. I am convinced that somewhere on this 16 foot wide road, there is a 2 inch path, that is easier on the bike, and if I can just find it, then my ride will go easy. On my way out, I got stopped by Denis, a tall S4 student with an engaging smile. I told him that I remembered his smile—it was true. We talked for a while, about volleyball and other things and all of sudden he mentioned the name Kathryn Buss. Even after 3 years, he has remembered his pen pal. (So if you are reading this and a Nerinx girl, have Kate email me a letter to Denis—I will print it out and give it to him.) but now back to the bicycle journey. So although I again look ridiculous on this bike, my peddling knees barely clear the handlebars, I was trying to find the 28 year old in this 53 year old body. Soon I had my goal, 10 feet in front of me, was a small boy barely able to get his legs to touch the pedals, and only maybe 60 pounds. RACE ON! He did not know it was a race, but still. I felt triumphant as I worked hard and passed him 200 meters later like he was standing still. (He was standing still as his chain had fallen off his bike). What a victory, and now another moral victory as it looked like I would get to the bicycle repair shop in town without stopping or walking the bike….. but wait what the hell… all of a sudden the 10 year old passed me. How did he get his chain on so quick? He had me buy about 8 meters when he turned to look stoically at his now defeated foe. I did not return his stoic look, but started pedaling frantically as he now knew the race was on. He met my challenge and put several bike lengths between us, and I know settled in for a second place finish, but 5 minutes down the road, the distractions of the big city, Lacekocot, distracted him, and I sped by him to claim the mythical title---the yellow jersey, the laurel, the kiss from the wonderful French girl. I had found that perfect line. _____________________________ My victory suite awaited me, with about 17 flies. And the smell of turkey shit was wafting from the courtyard outside my room, but wait where were the turkeys? Is it possible, that pigeons have the same smell. So winning the Tour de France, is not what it is cracked up to be, just killing time with the flies breathing in the wonderful smell of turkeys or pigeons. It is almost time for a shift change, and the flies will go home and the mosquitos will start. I kind of see a line of them clocking in, like an animated Jerry Seinfeld movie. ____________________________ Btw, A great day at school today. My teaching partner is a wonderfully committed man who talked about hard work and working longer hours than a normal teacher. But his story will be saved for next week. Tonight will be day 3 of posting hope it works….

2 comments:

Katie said...

Does anyone ever say "hey, Mister, that bike's a little small for you" like the kid said to Brian when he was riding Nora's bike home from the repair shop?

John Magee said...

mostly they just point and giggle... Although there is a group of young girls (less than 7 years old) who have begun singing to me every time I pass