Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Carrying Wood

So there is essentially a two story treehouse as part of our property. The steps going up to the second floor were okay, but the hand railing was not good. The hand railing was two by fours so my plan was to buy a 12 foot 2 x 4 and nail it parallel and also sink it into the ground a couple inches for support. The first step was to find a 2 x 4 in Gulu....not an easy task. To be continued..... Termites are a problem here, so most of the buildings are brick made from the earth. And most of the wood here for small structures is just bamboo lashed together. So as Isaac peeled off to get some food, I went walking down streets. For some reason, I saw a mass of metal entry gates and decided to look behind it to see what else the shop had. To do that I had to hop over a drainage ditch filled with water. First I saw a 2 x 6, then a 4 x 4. I finally the coveted 2 x 4 although there were 16 ft. long ( or close I can almost guarantee they were not a uniform size). After careful looking, aided by a Ugandan student, Oydek Julius, we found two straight boards. Now where was Isaac? I tried to find him at Coffee Hut, the hangout of all the white people, but he had just left. I walked by the same boda boda drivers, who were trying to get me to ride, and I asked if they had seen a big white guy. They said had he had just ducked into a shop and I found him. We spent 32,000 shillings for the two boards and started to walk through town. Two large white men carrying two large boards on their shoulders walking through town. We were a hit. Then when I got back to the bar. Lindsey Troup came out looked at what we were about to do, and said, "Why don't you take down the wood, so the inside steps work. She was right, and it kind of ticked me off that I had not seen it first, but a good idea, is a good idea. Now, how where we going to saw through wood without finding a band saw anywhere in town. Our day guard, Michael Jackson, soon returned with a hacksaw and we got to work. Of course, the hacksaw broke and Isaac and I took turns using the blade and sawed through a 2 x 4 by hand with half a hacksaw blade. And to think somewhere in the Gaffney garage is our Share Kindness battery operated Sawzall. We finally got it together, and things are looking good for our fourth of July party on Friday. Power is out and this post is getting long, and I might add pictures.

No comments: