Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Friday, June 15, 2012

We Bless the Rains Down in Africa

Okay, so here is the update on my connectivity. My phone's sim card is corrupt, so I have to get a new one before I can call or receive calls. Unfortunately, power has to be up for this to happen( there has been no power for 36 hours). My stick works on my laptop, but I was excited when I got home last night, and tried to squeeze a last sentence into this post and the computer died, and finally the sim card for my iPad still will not load. Now back to the story We all went to quiz night at BJ's, which is the old Bamboo. All of the teachers went so it was a good time. There were two European cup matches to be played so the bar was full of interested soccer fans. Italy vs. Croatia is a big draw in Uganda. We then got going on quiz night and the 11 of us were joined by 3 Ugandans and a young woman from Holland. My trivia skills were not good, and several of our right answer were marked wrong. But it was still a good night, half of the group left early and got caught in a downpour. The hardcores benefitted from sticking around and having another Bell. I had told Josh Franklin about dancing with the imaginary hacky sac and mid conversation he reached into his pocket and found an invisible hacky sac and we soon had a good 10 minute game that several Ugandans thought was hilarious. (See Holly Schoen it is fun, and now has been played on two continents) I then had a great conversation with Rebecca aka li'l feisty. We talked about teaching and family and many other things..., but mostly how great this whole experience is going to be. I think she is going to be a fantastic teacher and is a great part of the Teacher Exchange Program. Isaac was there keeping watch on everything, I am looking forward to working with him. Dana had her Ugandan friend David along, who is fast becoming everyone's friend. Sarah found a few Ugandans to chat up, and it was just a great night. Since the rain had come and the roads were muddy, we decided (mostly me) to walk home. Headlamps pointed out a few puddles, but not all of them and we laughed and joked all the round home. It is a great group, and this just reinforced how enjoyable it is going to be to spend time with this bunch. The final 6 were all the guys: Isaac, Josh, and myself and we were joined by Sarah, Dana, and li'l Feisty. I might actually buy a generator today, as the lack of electricity is seriously hampering my ability to communicate. All is well, and don't forget to send a brotha a shout back on the comments below. Tonight I get to meet my partner teacher, Okidi Polycarp and met old friend Calistus today. So many good people here..... until later, John

No comments: