Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Thanks to those that kept me in the game

I am unemployed teacher, novice pizza cook, quite friendly bartender, free tutor, large man. There have been times over the last year where I have felt sorry for myself. How could this have happened? Now I am Lapwony Cura (mathematics teacher pronounced LaFone Chura) in Atanga SS. I walk around as one of two white people in the whole town, and all I see is people that work really, really hard to struggle to have an existence of maybe a fourth of what I currently have. They for the most part are welcoming and smiling and sometimes even make up a song. I was serenaded by 12 young ones all under the age of 6 today. The song went something like “Bye, bye, munu, bye, (sing song Lwo), bye, bye” it was accompanied by the uncontrollable laughter of a small child. Barefoot in the dirt, as happy as can be. ___________________________Oh and one more thing, and it is a big thing, today I dedicated my teaching to all those that I have tutored over the last year. By trying your best and overcoming many difficult obstacles in your path, you have done something quite special for yourself. But also, you did something for me, you kept me in the game, when some in power said I was not a teacher, you gave me your smiles and your questions, but most of all you let me watch you unlock knowledge along your journey. At our best that are what teachers are just interested travelers who help you keep the path true. You can do it yourselves, but everyone once in a while, you need just a small nudge. I am honored and blessed that I was in your life this year, and you will always be special, because it is you who linked my teaching past to my teaching future. “Good morning, Lapwony.” , said a couple of students on the path today. I cannot tell you the joy that greeting gave me. It reminded me of the best days walking down the halls of Nerinx, afterall—I am a teacher.

No comments: