Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Rhinos and Frustration

9 of us went to visit Rhinos and we once again had a great time. The Rhino Sanctuary in Uganda has grown from 6 rhinos to 12 rhinos with the birth of six new ones since I have been coming to Uganda. There are only 14 rhinos total in all of Uganda. This seems to be a great start in returning native animals back to Uganda. The boys, Josh Franklin, Isaac Morford, and myself shared a nice room and Sarah Allen and Li'l Feisty were in the other room of Chalet # 2. Two great meals at a very nice retreat about 3 hours away from Gulu. It was a great trip before the first week of school Nothing seems to be working this year, and I again have phone problems which means I will add to the 14 hours (not a joke) that I have already spent at the MTN phone store. My phone stopped working right after I had loaded $30 dollars worth of credit on it. (so that credit is now lost somewhere in cyberspace). I have an ipad that is not connected to the internet because of some SNAFU somewhere. It is frustrating, because Dana Larkin went to the store in Kampala at the exact same time, and did the exact same thing and hers has been working for almost a week now. My internet stick for the laptop, does not seem to be loading or some other problem. So the current score is Devices that I brought to Uganda to connect with all of you that are not working 3 while devices I have working 0. I am not sure whether I will be able to connect on a regular basis with you this year, but know that I am working on solving these problems several hours each day, and will continue to try until I leave. There are several good teachers that are a part of this group and another dozen will be arriving within a week. If any of my students were having these problems I would advise them that the things that are frustrating them are just things and getting frustrated by silly things is not worth your worry. We should be concentrating on people not things. Tomorrow, I will arrive in Atanga after a 2 year absence of seeing the students, and I will remember again why I come to Uganda. This week I will also be in a classroom teaching for the first time since May 2011. It has been awhile and I cannot wait.

No comments: