Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Friday, July 13, 2012

Bug Explosion and More

Okay, so I was going to post my bug story from Facebook, but internet is not cooperating. The other night, I was fighting with a stubborn internet (five minutes or so for pages to load, then just cutting out). I was being attacked by two bugs and they were driving me crazy, but my eyes were on the prize -- getting something posted. This one bug was really giving me fits, so as I heard him fly by the side of my head. I slapped my own head. A direct hit, I think it was some kind of moth, because it literally exploded into powder. And I had my head lamp on so it was actually kind of cool. I also hit myself so hard that I remembered where I lost my 3rd grade geography book (btw that is a joke). It is amazing how spoiled we are with the internet and so much information so quick. I remember hanging out with Tony and Dave Difani in a motel room in Daytona beach and being mesmerized because they had NCAA scores (in black and white) that would update maybe every 15 minutes or so, we thought it was amazing and just stared at the screen for an hour or so. I am currently in a village where essentially there is no power and no internet. The petrol for the vehicles is kept in plastic jugs (jerry cans) and it somehow all works for them. The village of Lacekocot rolls on, children laugh, business gets done, farmers dig, and people can be happy. It is just the impatient American who sometimes get frustrated with the pace or the fact that I have to chase a pig or a family of ducks away to use the outhouse. There are 6 latrines with a shower stall in the middle. Not a shower, just 3 walls of 4 feet and a door. The other day, as Isaac was holding the water bag so I can shower, I was amazed that the higher or lower I moved in the stall, I could get different smells. Up high was definitely the smell of POO, but when I got lower in the stall, scrubbing my legs, the smell of urine took over. Just using a washtub in the morning to wash my face and torso, and brushing my teeth makes me feel clean most mornings. Of course, after another tortuous bike ride home last night, standing in the rain, definitely made me feel more clean. I should be able to post a couple more times over the weekend. I am skipping the Safari to go with my Friend, Father Leonsyo and be with him for some kind of program. It is almost time for class and I have no idea, if after typing all of this, it will even post, but things are good. Get those Cardinals winning.....

No comments: