Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Ronald and Mutessa

These two young men came to visit me a couple of weeks ago. They are both Ojaras, although in the Acholi culture, they are not brothers. But they should be. They are both called Ojara, because they were born with an extra finger on their right hand. I do not know if this is in the gene pool, but they are several Ojaras that I have taught. They explained it to me without hesitation, and both quickly showed me their hands where they both had similar scars where the finger was removed. It looks now like a small mole. They are currently in no man’s land; they have successfully completed their S.4. Studies, but neither of them has the school fees for the S.5. and S.6. course work. I remember them both vaguely from 2009, but I really do not know anything about their scholastic ability, although they did complete the S.4. exams. What happens to a dream deferred? Both boys say they are working hard at digging (farming) to try to have enough money to begin next year. I do not know if they will make it, and what does that do to your ability to succeed at the Advanced level, when you now have 2 or 3 years in between your Ordinary level (think high school). Although, I do remember going to a night class in 2008 with Odawa Henry, and seeing a handful of young men in their late 20s working extremely hard to master the difficult math course work in S.6. It can be done, but for those young men, they were working hard at school for 2-3 hours that night after a full day of physical labor. Both boys now have cards in their hands that I gave them to write to an American pen pal. I do not know who those pen pals will be yet. I hope I can get someone to write a letter to me via email, that I can print out this weekend and let them read. Since they have no school, they have no address and the probability of them getting the letters that will be mailed back in care of the school is not good. So we will talk again, one American who has the benefit of great education system, paid for with love by my wonderful parents, and two young Ugandan boys who may not ever reach their dream. For this moment all I can do is be their friend and listen to their stories and smile and laugh and encourage them the best they can. They have given me their story and their dreams—I think I received the better of that exchange. The world is changing, and I hope someday we are smart enough to know that any child that is not allowed to pursue his educational passion hurts us all. The investment made in these two by the Ugandan government, NGOs, or crazy philanthropist would be an investment that would pay us all back. This is not a request for money from anyone. I would not know how to work out the logistics (it can be quite complicated). It is merely a lament. What happens to a dream deferred?

1 comment:

Katie said...

Maybe God is leading you down a path to help students find a way to education. Not necessarily in Uganda but there are plenty of places where marginalized students desire a great education and aren't getting it.