Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Going to Pajuule

There is an expression in Uganda that I have used in this blog before, TIA -which stands for This is Africa. It usually means things get all messed up or 15 minute meetings start and hour and half late and then last for 2 hours. But in 5 years, this might be my biggest TIA. I declined to go on with Safari with all of my friends, and instead was going to a program in Pajuule with Father Leonsyo, a great Priest and a great friend. Safari would have been cooler, but Fr. Leonsyo is so proud of his organization, PTU Peace Together Uganda that I felt I should represent. He also told me I was representing Kelley, Morgan, Rainwater, Colleen, and a lot of different teachers. So let's go to Pajuule. Father told me I should be ready to go at 4 pm, although he later changed that to 5 pm. I talked to him at 530 and in his own way, "He answered John, John, John I am moving towards you. When I talked to him at 6 pm, we agreed I should walk down the road to the Acholi Inn and meet him there. I got there at 6:05 pm, and waited outside for a vehicle of unknown size and shape. At 6:15, it started storming so I moved across the street under a small veranda, I was soon joined by many bicycles and boda bodas. Although I had brought my iPad to take some pictures, I was now lamenting I had not brought my power cord and I could be in the lobby of the Acholi Inn cruising the net instead of watching the rain fall down. I talked to Father again and he told me there would "be 3 of us moving together. A half hour later at the bar, a man named Francis introduced himself and told me were both traveling with Leonsyo. he found me again just after 9 and said we should grab food for take away before we left. Sure why not add another delay to our departure. LOL. I got rice, potatoes, and a few pieces of chicken for 20,000/=. A little pricey, but let's go. We hit the road after 9 pm and I soon got the bad news that because of the weather the trip would be four hours long. I had chosend the back seat for more room, but found myself leaning on Francis' heavy sturdy Bag. My bag between my knees and my dinner under both legs, but still on the seat. I was suddenly glad I had not added gravy to my food, as the bumps were vicious. It felt like the windows were going to shatter on at least 20 % of the bumps. They were jarring, and I watched Francis sit calmly in his front row seat . I had definitely made the wrong choice in seats. I was both cursing and saying a few Hail Mary's under my breath. I just wanted to arrive in close to four hours, anything was possible. About every 20 minutes or so we passed a car on the road coming the other way.

No comments: