Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Friendships

I saw a lot of good friends have a tough morning today. So many in this teacher group have invested so much into friendships and relationships with Ugandans they did not know 2 months ago. They were amazing in developing the kinship that Father Boyle talks about. They went to villages, ate meals, and soaked in the Acholi culture. There are several Ugandans who will never forget these Americans, my friends. And this experience for the Americans will be unforgettable, they have invested with their hearts and when we do that bonds tend to last. Friendships made brick by brick last forever, especially when we take the time to place each brick with so much care. Today as we gathered on the bus,there were hugs and many tears between our new friends. It gets more complicated as the American contingent is thrown together in close and accelerated friendships themselves. I would call several of my new teacher friends --close friends already. And now when we are broken hearted about leaving good Ugandans, we will in just two days also come to the realization that we are losing each other. I have been there before you clear customs at JFK and all of a sudden it is over. Because of time and distance it is inevitable that the closeness and greatness of many of these friendships will fade. But that last line is crap. It is what we tell each other when all of this could last if we cared enough to put the effort into working and loving the people in our lives. We jump into a new book or start working on our garden or countless other things that are far so less significant than these wonderful people that we let fall away. When I worked at Nerinx, I thought several of my colleagues were friends. Yet several of my friends still have not picked up a phone or even a Facebook mention to inquire about how I am doing. A year plus later and not a word. That hurt. As soon aa I write this sentence, I realize the inconsistency of my post. If these friendships mattered to me, why don't I do something myself to resurrect or renew these friendships. It is defintely on my agenda for when I get back. I told Josh and Sarah tonight that the one thing about this group that I will share is that I have been closer to who I think I am with this group. Isn't that what friends do? They revel and enjoy exactly who you are. So most of you reading this are family or friends, and as it gets close to midnight sitting in an outdoor bar perched 90 feet above the Nile, I promise to try better and love more ardently the things about you that I already love. And for this group of teachers who are now sleeping soundly in their beds, I am going to work had to make sure you stay in my life.....so sorry you have many,many, many, many bad jokes in your future.

No comments: