Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

IPod and Memories

Josh Franklin requested on the way to Entebbe airport that we play "Waving Flag" by K'naan. It was the World Cup theme song for 2010 and is a song we can play that both Ugandans and Americans will both smile and sing together. I grabbed my Ugandan flag out of the bag and let the air blowing through the bus, let it wave. Later, Caroline up front grabbed one end and all 13 of us were laughing, singing, and raising our fists. "When I get older, I will be stronger, They'll call me freedom just like da waving flag.". What a great time, and what a great memory that song evokes. As the four of us got off the bus after the airport, I had the feeling that I had left something behind. I started to think about going back on the bus, but just that quick it had pulled away. Four hours later as we sat done to wait for our transport back to Gulu, I went through everything in both bags and there was no iPod. Damn! I was mad at myself for not being more careful with an expensive possession that I enjoy. Thr black U2 iPod has been so much a part of some of my favorite memories in the last year. When I said I had lost it on Facebook, Jill Baranowski said, "Nooooooooooo" , because she had been a part of those memories singing at the top of her lungs going from place to place in Biloxi. At the same time I was kind of calm. I put an obituary for this thing on Facebook, and started to think how I would get those songs back---those memories. Sarah Williams had told me I should take a picture of Phil with me on this trip. it is something I intended to do, but in the time crunch of back to back trips, it never got done. As other teachers grabbed my iPod to play music, it was amazing how many times they played Golddigger. Also I heard "Golddigger" at the club, three times on this trip. (side note: when I first heard Golddigger, I thought they were saying "John Magee" instead of "friend in need". My students then sang me that song, singing my name over and over. Phil Williams heard they story, laughed, and proceeded to serenade me with a chorus or two every time he saw me, laughing and grinning every time). Apparently, I did not need the picture, it seems Phil and those wonderful memories have been here with me in Africa all of the time. Just now I remembered I found an American dime on the way. T the Acholi Inn in the second week. Every single time, I hear "The World's Greatest", 8 think of Stephone Cotton singing it in an Aim High talent show and the curtain opening and twenty fifth graders singing the chorus. "One" sung by Mary J. Blige and U 2 reminds me instantly about the many students who have touched my heart and made me laugh. All the great songs of Paddy O's in 2006 have been renamed with Cardinal highlights and each one is special. "Have Seen All Good People". Reminds me always of four big idiots driving through the Colorado mountains. Each of the hundreds of songs remind me of one of you. The iPod may be gone, but I will always have the memories, much like Miranda Lambert sings in "The House that Built Me.". Which is on my iPod and reminds me of Celia Marten and how much dads love their daughters. "If I could just come in, I'll swear I'll leave, won't take nothing but a memory from the house that built me. You leave home, you move on and you do the best you can. I got lost in this whole world and forgot who I am." I think we all sometimes get lost in this whole world, and when we do maybe should just surround ourselves in memories. Long distance phone call to mom to get prayers to St. Anthony started. Three hours later, and I found my iPod in a story where three things had to happen, of course. I was ecstatic to get it back, but after writing this I just realized I did not need it. What it contains, I already have, and can only lose if I forget the house that built me.

1 comment:

terri said...

John,
I get what you are saying. I've never had an IPod, but that's not important. I've heard "kids" say that a certain song reminds them of "that great music video!". Most popular songs have those videos and that's what the kids think about when they hear it. I'm glad I never watched those videos. I've got my own memories about people, events, special things that I think of when I hear that certain song. That's a treasure that you can't lose!
Miss ya and love ya,
Terri