Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Monday, July 9, 2012

In Praise of Incredible Women (now with grammar)

I am amidst a group of teachers each weekend that are incredible in their own talents and their dreams in so many ways. There are only five guys, so that leaves 20 plus incredible women, but this is not their story. Over the weekend, touching base with home with faster internet, I saw that Hayley Bokern, aka Meeko was having a graduation party this weekend. I decided to stay up, (okay I set an alarm) to call St. Louis, to wish her and her classmates a congratulation from a world away. The alarm went off at 11 pm (it is crazy, but I often go to bed before 9 pm in the village of Lacekocot) and I got up, got dressed, opened up my door, opened up the heavy metal door, and walked to the street to get better cell phone reception. We missed connections several times, so I had time to contemplate life. For the first time that I can remember the entire village was asleep, and I was standing alone by the road looking up at the beautiful stars of the Southern sky. I got through to Beanie (every student who has ever been on the Biloxi service trip has a nickname) and she told me she had not arrived at the party. I went back to my room and tried to get a Cardinal score from internet reception that was not there. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .I was in trouble with my mother, because I had not posted a blog entry today, and I laid in my bed, thinking about how special Meeko, Beanie, and Ra$ha and all of their classmates are to me. I am reminded of those three several times a day, because they hijacked my iPad in Biloxi and changed my opening page to a goofy picture of themselves. I guess I could change it (I really don’t know how currently), but I have grown accustomed to having these faces from home greet me several times a day. The Class of 2012 were the oldest class left in the school when I got kicked out the door at Nerinx, and I will remember how much they stood by me and stood up for me. There are so many examples of their quest for what is right, I will remember always a voice mail from Beanie that started out, “Mr. Magee, I know you told me to stay out of it, but….” I will remember Brennan and Colleen and so many others writing such an eloquent defense and questioning those in charge. Sister Barbara told the Class of 2012 that they had not really lived if they did not dissent and disagree. And how they did disagree. Of course, she was not too happy when these intelligent women disagreed with her. I will remember Molly and her t-shirt idea, and I will remember Erica and Madison rounding the corner in tears. They had heard me tell a wonderful young freshmen that I would not be there for the end of their journey. I cannot tell you how much the courage and intelligence of Zazu has meant to me in my life, or how much the tears rolling down the cheek of Lizzie in a Gazebo in Webster told me how much I was loved. This post may get long, because each line I write I remember one more person. They are simply the most wonderful people in the world, they are the Nerinx Hall Class of 2012. I have to say if I am not invited to your reunion in the next five years, we will have a better party at the Wine Bar afterwards. You are so special to me. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . This weekend, I had retold the story of little Samuel, the 2 ½ year old Angel I held in my arms before he died 2 years ago. I will not forget then when I told that story at Nerinx, and there was the voice of another Angel, Claire, helping me tell that story. Claire shows the world more kindness and love in a day then most people do in a year. Her best friend is Megan, or LifeSong, she was my advisee, and I will never forget her quiet drive to be the best person, best friend, and best student she could be, and also was a great big sister. I am reminded of Jessi and Brittany racing to erase the boards every other day, there simple way of making the ordinary—extraordinary. I remember the PreCalculus classes, and the quiet smile of Hannah and how cool it was that she went on Biloxi this year. It just crept into my mind, what a special kid Amy W. is and will continue to be. Amy was responsible for organizing (bonus Ugandan smile) a black binder probably the most treasured possession I own. It would definitely be the first thing I ran out of the house with, in case of a fire at my house. Janie, who I remember looking at me like she was in trouble every conversation I started with her freshmen year, is a charm and such a blessing in my life. The notorious MGG and all the passion she came to Biloxi this year is amazing, and the fact that she brought her little sister this year and maybe Dad next year is such a gift to her family. If I sit down tomorrow, I could right this post with 22 different names and each of them would be special to me. Chimpf Chompf just jumped into my head, and her spirit and her goofiness made me laugh almost every day. It is a fact that her and Curli Locks and Juno (Emily M.) are some of the kindest people I have ever known. I got to watch them love each other and love the World (or at least one corner of the world ---just off Division street). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The grammar in this post was awful, so I am rewriting it the next day, and immediately I thought of the wonderful spirit of Molly Trevathan and how much she brought her desire and her smile to everything she did. And then I remember that whole side of the class with Wakko, Yakko, and Dot all so special, and what amazing people they are. Father Boyle says or close, “ I see in these students, what they do not see in themselves until they do.” Now so many of them are at the age, where they have embraced their talents and their gifts. When I think of how special Pooh is, I had to stand up for him and so many like her that were disrespected and mistreated by petty people. Tracy Johnson singing an Aria for my Ugandan friend --- what a special memory. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I never got to walk the halls with you your Senior Year, but you know and I know--- I was there every step of the way. “No wizard that there is or was”,---can ever change that. Tonight I congratulated Hayley on the phone, but as I tried to make that call I looked into the stars of the Southern sky. Most of you have never seen them, the beauty of the Southern Cross is amazing. Even more amazing was each star on a clear Ugandan sky reminded me of each of you. It stood there as a prelude to the journeys you will make and the new adventures you will have. You will do that, because inside of each of you, you have a special talent, --The ability to Love and….. You, the Class of 2012, do that so well ! I know, because in my house I have a little black binder, and every time I open it love pours out. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I just walked outside my room again to see the stars and think about how amazing you are. Each of you are my stars and I am going to sleep feeling that I am the most blessed man in the world.

No comments: