Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Molly Milford -- Rock Star

I am collecting some letters from Ugandan students at Atanga SS. The main reason I am collecting them is the students of Atanga SS sent letters to Nerinx Hall last year, and they never got to the Nerinx students (sometimes, sometimes, sometimes). I heard from Alfred that not hearing back from these students was a real disappointment to Atanga students. Today I got to understand why, the wonderful girls of our Share Kindness trip sent wonderful cards to Atanga SS, and those girls will be getting a letter back. Rest assured I have more if you are interested. But in trying to make sure everyone was happy, I have a list of those Biloxi people combined with a Ugandan student or two. As the Atanga student returns a letter I take a picture of them, write down the photo number, and hopefully will deliver both a letter and picture to you people in St. Louis. As this process happens, often students gather in groups of ten or twelve surrounding me to see what is happening. Today, it was marvelous as they looked at the list. I do not know why, but a dozen were fixated on the name Molly Milford. There were all trying to say it and pronounce it, and it did not help that my handwriting was sloppy. Molly Milford was all of a sudden the Katy Perry of Atanga SS. She was their dream, and I would like to know what they thought Molly’s life was like, but they just stood their enamored with the name. Several of them were writing it on scraps of paper, as others were pronouncing it Mitford, Miltord, and finally I told them Milford. They repeated the name and giggled. They were this close to meeting their star and they now knew her name. They immediately looked down and one asked, “Sir, what can you tell us about this one, Hannah Graft.” (again my handwriting). I corrected them on the name and then quickly changed the subject as the next name was Pahic, and I did not want to even start on that one. ………….. Do you realize in many of the world’s eyes we are living the dream? We are the people they aspire to be. It is humbling, and should be humbling to all of us. But also their laughter makes me realize our common humanity and we are this close to being a part of each other’s lives. It just takes some effort to reach out and embrace all the people we share our world with. Rachel Hansen took the ties of her sweater and made a funny face after Mass in Jackson at the beginning of the June, and 40 different Ugandans looked at the picture to try to figure out its meaning. They were not too satisfied with my “she was just being silly”. {Oh my God, two great things just happened as I was interrupted by Isaac. One, I finally got to talk to Leonsyo, first time since Sunday, he has been concerned about me for 3 days. And Two, Alfred walked into the dark with the brother of Ronald Kwoyelo, and we have a 10 minute meeting set up for tomorrow. So much has happened, I have not even told you the story of seeing Ronald on Sunday.} So I just want to remind us all, the princesses and the rock stars of our world, that we have a calling to reach out and let those who dream about us, know that their dreams and aspirations are real also. One American cheering for One Ugandan or One Haitian or One Nicaraguan can change the life of someone. What happens to a dream deferred? Sometimes it is put back on track by the simplest of intentions, the simple kindness between Emily Mancuso and Ocwa Alfred Jackson, the hospitality that Mary Grace Barry gave to Okaali John, the letter you wrote…. The picture you shared. I hope someday to have a party where 40 of my favorite Ugandans meet 40 of my favorite Americans and Nina Zanaboni brings 40 people from Nicaragua and Caitlyn Weir knows half of them, and of course in the background Mrs. Fields and Hayley Hunter or sharing a quiet laugh, and Mrs. Nguyen has 8 students around her mesmerized by her simple smile and kindness. It all starts with kindness and then we progress, we discover that boundless compassion that stands in awe of the burdens the world has to carry not in judgment of how they carry them. (Aside to the Biloxi Girls, today I used the hand, this is the best thing you have ever done, etc….) To those of you who have exceeded my expectations, it is quite simple thing. Is it not? The best thing you have ever done in your life is to love. Go do it tomorrow, find someone to love. (And then click on the comment section and tell me about it.)

2 comments:

terri said...

John,
I love reading your blog. BTW-I think Molly Milford is a Rock Star also and her name does have that special ring to it!
Your words are good..I wish I could write like that.
There is a wedding invitation, or two, sitting at your house by now. One for Jesse and one for Ed Poth's daughter. Have you decided which one you are going to eat at? Jesse's reception is from 6:30-11:00pm. I would love it if you would "party" with us,even if you decide to have dinner with the Poth's. We kinda need a headcount...before you are scheduled to get back.
Take care of yourself and keep doing what you are doing! God, and all of us, are proud of you!
Thanks, Terri

terri said...

John,
I love reading your blog. BTW-I think Molly Milford is a Rock Star also and her name does have that special ring to it!
Your words are good..I wish I could write like that.
There is a wedding invitation, or two, sitting at your house by now. One for Jesse and one for Ed Poth's daughter. Have you decided which one you are going to eat at? Jesse's reception is from 6:30-11:00pm. I would love it if you would "party" with us,even if you decide to have dinner with the Poth's. We kinda need a headcount...before you are scheduled to get back.
Take care of yourself and keep doing what you are doing! God, and all of us, are proud of you!
Thanks, Terri