Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mid Summer Reflections on Uganda

Just got back from the Teacher Exchange conference, and got to MTN just before the rain to get internet again for next month. Got impatient waiting for 10 minutes, so I struck out figuring worst case I could get to Uchumi store and hang out there. I got to Uchumi alright, but had to cross a river of water to get inside the store. Jane, Rachel, and Laura were on the porch laughing at my predicament along with about 10 Ugandans. It was funny standing in the middle of road with nowhere to go. Finally did my best to get over the river, but left shoe was almost totally submerged. I was kind of excited about the end of the conference, finally got a chance to talk to math teachers, and I introduced them to Khan Academy on my iPad (soon to be one of yours' iPad) and they seemed excited about the possibility. I have heard that Pope Paul VI now has a nice computer lab, and maybe just maybe, some opportunities are opening up for Ugandan students. I am really trying to figure out how the efforts of a few people could do the most good. I think if you could open up a small school and teach them a more modern curriculum and also teach them some great test taking skills for the 4 Year cumulative tests that are the sole determiner of their future in college and further life. I am convinced that I could get rid of some of the archaic things they learn in math class and introduce them to something much more entertaining and a better base for living in our modern world. I am curious about Restore Academy and if they are doing something different than the traditional Ugandan system. We had a great time last night, most of us hung out at the pizza place, waiting for food ( I think it was over an hour and a half for some), luckily I had already filled up at the pork joint for about a dollar and a half. It was cool hanging out with everyone, and then we moved to the second story bar that is on the grounds of our house. It was built by some UN guys probably 20 years ago, but Isaac and I have made a few improvements and it is a great place to hang out. So with my iPod and iPod speakers (thanks Frank Hellwig), we kind of had a sing along party with Josh, Feist, Isaac, Sarah Girl, the other Sarah (cheesehead from Wisconsin), and Meagan. We had a blast singing and just hanging out, although some in the house might have thought otherwise. I have arranged to spend a couple days at Pope Paul VI near the end of the trip, and also saw Kumakech Lawrence, one of the happiest men I have ever met. He was really excited to see me and was also really excited to have me visit in a couple of weeks. It looks like I am blowing off the Safari to be a guest of Father Leonsyo in Pajule next week. Things are great, just wish I knew how or what to do to help the students of Uganda more.

1 comment:

Jack Magee said...

Hi from mom i am learning how to add comments I did make a peach pie from a googlle recipe tad da i am not good at capitals yet. It is going to be 107 today hot hot love you lots and miss your jokes at Sunday dinner.