Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Friday, July 16, 2010

1+1=3

It is amazing to talk to people. I mean really, really talk to people. I knew like 5 of these people before I got to this country, Americans at least--- each year the number of Ugandans I know grows.....

but I wish all of you, could journey into the unknown, meet total strangers, and talk about your dreams and your fears. It is an amazing experience.

We are staying close to home, more to not put extra worry into the IC hearts that have had a very tough week.. I really believe Gulu is safer now than at any time I have been here. So after dinner and talking with 30 people, Tim, Pablo, and I walked across the street to the Ethiopian restaurant for a beer or a water, but mostly just to trade stories. Tim is a bartender--restauranteur turned teacher from New York, who has a veteran's simplicity to the world. I feel when I am gone a week, I need a few minutes to check in with Tim to get a feel of what has happened since I have been gone. Pablo is one of those skinny guys who can do more on the dance floor than myself (which is definitely saying something), he has a good ear, and a good judge of people....He has a gentleness and a kindness that the women on this trip picked up quickly.

We were joined at the bar, Julie, Lisa, Lindsey, and Kristen.... Julie was a boarding school soccer player, who has a great sense of humor, and rocks those preppy plaid shorts. She played soccer in college, and I think the reason, I love her so much is that I could easily see her playing soccer at Nerinx (and let's face it Nerinx girls you are the best and my most favorite people in the world).... It was especially neat tonight when Julie stopped to praise Kristen in front of the whole group for doing amazing work at St. Jude's with the disable children there. When she recanted the story to our small group, she told us how the soccer playing at St. Jude's did not go well, as it was one against all, but then she stepped over and saw the amazing things Kristen was doing and got sucked into Kristen and her love and talent working with the disabled.

Lindsay and Lisa were with me last year, and their pragmatism, along with Lindsey's ever present smile, and Lisa putting her southern pragmatism into a well placed cutting remark, make me feel so comfortable when I come back to Gulu. Aaaaaahhh, a smart ass who does not put up with bullshit (now I am home....)
A great conversation with a special group of people....

As I walked home, I stopped by our porch between the two sections of our house to greet Mandy and Andy.....Yes, young ones, they are now a couple, and as my students would say, "are so cute together." Mandy is going with me tomorrow as a former hair stylist to see what a Ugandan haircut is about, and she is a sweetheart and a very caring person. Mandy has already taken chances and risks in her life to follow her own path and her own heart..and I admire her greatly for following her own voice. Andy has emerged as the clever, comedic voice of the first group (don't worry I am still funny, but not around during the week) PLUS the dude is kind of funny. We talked about concerns and worries of the week that led into a discussion of AMDG (Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam--for the greater glory of God) and a couple other wonderful topics. The interesting part was we were in front of a Kerosene lamp as the winged White Ants converged on us.... So as we were talking, sharing dreams and secrets, I would grab a white ant by the wing, and throw it to the ground (they might be the easiest bugs in the world to catch).. I am not normally a red wine drinker, but Mandy kept pouring, the conversation kept flowing, and some stupid ants kept interrupting only to be sent hurdling to the ground with a flick of the wrist. I cannot tell you how many great conversations I have had in the African night with amazing people...Each of them a bit different, but all of them here to share their diverse talents with the people of Northern Uganda. The conversation ended when my alarm went off at 11:59 pm, meaning it was time to call St. Louis.

A fairly amazing man had died, and I wanted to call St. Louis, and let his daughter Claudia know that I was thinking about her and her family. Earlier this morning when I went to Mass entirely in Lwo, I prayed for them. Even from Uganda, it is actually fairly simple to reach out to others and let them know they matter, and you are so happy to have them in your life.

As I walked inside, I ran into Kelley who has been away from Anaka and our little group as she travelled the country with Father Leonsyo. She told me that she wanted to share and talk about her last 3 days and we should plan some time tomorrow to do that.


So you see, I have come to Africa to have wonderful conversations with total strangers that become close friends almost instantly after one great conversation, and after listening, really listening to what they are saying.....but I can now tell you that these conversations could happen anywhere.... it takes an openness, it takes a certain amount of risk.....

but they could happen in Webster Groves or Shrewsbury as easily as Gulu and Anaka.

I am so, so grateful for the old friends that have sent me here, and the new friends who pour me red wine as the white ants attack....

Thanks to the old, thanks to the new, and thanks to those I have not yet met....

always your friend,

John

No comments: