Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Father Leonsyo

A real significant reason, I came back this year was to visit the village of Anaka. I had heard such amazing stories about the parish Priests that the 5 teachers had stayed with last year. Kelley had even told me more as we prepared to become teachers at Pope Paul VI in Anaka.

Both priests were out of town, so we did not get to meet them until.....

Kelley was antsy all night, as she could not wait until her friend from last year, Father Leonsyo would be returning to Anaka from Gulu via Italy for 3 months. She kept checking her phone for messages and the time, and after dinner questioned how long the drive from Gulu to Anaka would take.

Finally, I suggested we just walk up to the parish anyway. The start was interesting as I had not walked to the Church in the dark yet. Kelley, the warrior, plowed ahead, and I was just keeping up, doing my best to pay attention in case I had to find my way back for some reason. As we walked, we past about 20 students and villagers, while we had the latest in lights and headlamps all of the locals managed this path with ease in the dark.

We got to the parish center, and soon found Father Leonsyo sitting on a chair in the dark with a large group of people around him. Of course, we were given the chairs right next to Father Leonsyo. I accepted, but wondered how this could be right. Why should I be seated next to the Priest, when so many had known him for so much longer, and had made a special trip to greet him home, after his extended stay in Italy.

Immediately, in front of me, I could see that there was a group of children probably 30 or 40, almost all less than 10... smiling at the Priest. It was amazing just to sit in this gathering. In that moment, I was in a place of such grace. After I made some waving, greeting hand gestures at the boys, one young man of about 5 years old, came up from the third row, approached me and shook my hand. The boy showed great courage, while the other young boys stared at the large white man. I felt so blessed to be in this gentle, quiet place with the people of Anaka.

I will write more about Father Leonsyo later, but I will end with his words, "Isn't that what Love is, to be humble to others, to put others before you."

Today I sat amongst Saints,

John

No comments: