Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mass, God, and god

Kelley and I got up at 6 am to walk up for Mass with Father Leonsyo. It was wonderful, we walked through the dark to get to Mass, and saw small children with remnants of down coats to ward off the morning chill.

Mass was entirely in Lwo, and there were all generations there, and music was provided by the small home made harp. I have pictures, but right now very little battery time left. So I will flush this out later.

After Mass, we went to Morning Parade (Assembly) where the students stand and listen to the several teachers talk about how the school and their school life could be better. I looked at a few things in the staff room, came home to a broken toilet where I had to implement a flushing system, then lit an old Post-Dispatch on fire to cover the smell...

Our wash was done, but it still was a little damp, so I start rehanging it on the line. I was soon greeted by the sound on the other side of our house of about 60 students slashing the grass by hand. This was not punishment, but rather a way to welcome the Americans, but I would much rather see tall grass and students in classes. As the student teacher was calling students names to stop, because he felt they were working, a small feisty student questioned his authority. The student teacher replied, "I am God." The student replied, "You are god with a small g."

I am going to have to get to know this student. His impatience with the task at hand, and his feistiness, makes me believe that there is a lot there.....

John

1 comment:

Chuck said...

Did you hear about Nathan and the rat ?