Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Acholi Secondary Sub Region Mock Math Examination WITH A NEW ENDING

A quick refresher on the Ugandan school system.... They have 7 primary grades where after they complete take the PLE exam. If they do not pass this exam, they are sent back to repeat P7 for another year. Most who flunk try a different school or drop out entirely. They then have 4 years of Secondary School, where at the end they take another test, that may or may not let them finish their secondary school education in P5 and P6. Got it... okay


Today, I proctored a 5 hour math examination in 2 parts to our Senior 4 classes. Senior 4 is in three streams, Red, White, and Green. Today, I spent most of my time with Senior 4 White. The Ugandan school system does not currently do to much for the bottom students, they are not particularly encouraging, and the students who struggle often find ways to ditch class. Since about 15 to 20 ditch every day from a stream of 63....it is easy to get lost. It is only at examination time, when the classes are full.

On the other hand, the tough love, and harshness for failure turn the top 1/3 of each section into pretty amazing students. The exam they take at the end of S4 will greatly affect their future, as Universities are not open to all, just the very elitc academically. There are copies of past exams that the students use to study that are hoarded by students. Getting a copy of a past UNEB test (which is legal, they sell books in the store with them) is like getting a Mickey Mantle rookie card.

They really want to succeed and their doggedness and determination is amazing. (Right now it is about 1100 pm and 2 cows are mooing right outside my window), I just wish I can find a way to take 4 or 5 of these marvelous students and put them into an American high school for a year. Their quest for knowledge, resources, and help in educating themselves would be sated in a more fully stocked school....

So occasionally, I get a comment that the education system in Uganda must lag substantially behind the American system. When I tell this specific group of people this, there is an almost, "Really, what math are the Ugandans learning?" You would be amazed at the problems these students tackle. There is some frustration on my part, because sometimes the way students are taught here is overly complicated in mathematics, and I fail to see the point....but still these students soldier on, they want to succeed, they want to do well... So that is what I want to tell you, the American education system is some years ahead of the Ugandan system. But the drive, determination, and diligence of the students of Ugandan students match or maybe exceed the drive of American students. I would say definitely succeed, but I have taught some wonderful students in my Nerinx classes the last few years, and I would put the drive of Meaghan or Mary or Emily or (you get the picture...I teach great kids) against the best of the Ugandans. What a wonderful life I lead that I get to compare great kids to great kids.

The word of Samuel's Death reached Father Tom Poth in Nicaragua and he shared these words.... I hope he does not mind me sharing them. Father Tom has a distinct link with my Ugandan travels, as he so wonderfully summarized what Invisible Children was about in a morning Mass in New York after last summer.

"Unfortunately there are too many sad stories and usually the children are the victims. John ..... is in a world so very different from what we all grew up with in STL. Living in a 3rd world is not always beautiful. But the faith and hope that people have is always amazing to me and many times very sobering…especially when I want to quit and return to the States..... Tell John we will celebrate mass for Samuel tomorrow here in Nicaragua."

Thanks Father Tom for more great words, and I do see the faith, hope and kindness of the people of the Acholi region in Uganda. But I am teacher so more often I see students who will do anything to learn.....And that is why I keep coming back.


John Magee

No comments: