Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Friday, July 23, 2010

Back of a Mitsubishi Truck and more adventures......

Thursday night ended with a spirited game of Uno with 5 Ugandans and 5 Americans... Eventually we ran out of cards, and so we played for about 30 minutes reshuffling discards. Father Leonsyo, told us all that he was a man of peace, right before playing a wild draw 4 on his Deacon. We finally gave up on the game, and walked home around midnight. It was a good time and a great dinner with both old and new friends. We had Kob (look it up, it is a kind of antelope I think), it tasted fantastic.

It was tough getting up for Mass at 6 am, but luckily I woke up at 5:22 and was awake enough to fumble sleeplessness and confusion when Colleen (Smiles) came into my room to grab the internet stick.. Colleen was getting up early to lesson plan and try to create something real special for her students and her class, she is such a fantastic presence here. Such a wonderfully goofy and kind person, who has probably cared about the world and others since she was 8. (She actually told me how she organized an anti-fur petition drive in the Second Grade and mailed it to the Ohio Attorney General). Mass was good, but just a little bit delayed (apparently the Uno game went to long...LOL)...

I then walked to school with Father Marten and Deacon James, we arrived in the middle of morning assembly. Father Marten had joked with the Pope Paul VI students about not walking with the Priests or they would be late. As I walked up to the assembly there was a student reading news from a page. It was hard for me to understand his accent until he said, "A Senior 2 Girl had an extreme gas problem. When asked to comment a fly responded, "I thought she was already dead." It apparently is something the students do....they have fake news, the students loved it, and were laughing uproariously on more than one occasion.

Deacon James gave a great speech about starting now in secondary school to pursue your dreams. It was well done, and I believe was well received by the students. Then the headmaster, gave another good speech, and its tone was to get the job done. I then realized that the assembly was past 8 and I was worried about missing my ride with Father Leonsyo.

Found Kelley and we walked to the parish together. Since Kelley and Father were doing something productive, and I was just hitching a ride, I hopped in the back of the truck. First I had to throw all the sugar cane that was left behind out....so it was just me, my new bag, and an old tire.... Soon it was off down a bumpy rode, and me holding on the to top of the metal framework. It was a bumpy, bumpy ride, and I had to keep switching positions to make myself comfortable. I counted I was airborne (meaning my butt off the ground) 18 times including the rare double air. Father had a tarp over the front of the bed, so it was interesting when we went by people walking and cycling saw a big white man holding onto the truck dressed in a shirt and tie.

They waved and laughed and many of the small children enjoyed with pointing, laughing, and waving....Okay so Group 1 is leaving and I have to say good-bye...
so will finish later

No comments: