Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tuesday at Pope Paul VI

Today was a day filled with promise, starting with a good lesson and ending with playing Frisbee with about 8 of the high school boys, and about 5 primary school kids. The one primary school kid, Jacob, was great as he shagged all errant throws back to me. I almost did not even bend over while playing Frisbee. It might have been a bad idea during dinner, as the students (the boarders) get served dinner on plastic plates. I looked once behind me, and there were 9 different dinner plates sailing through the air.


Today, Patrick Munduga (spelling) and Denielle from Invisible Children came up to ask the Head Teacher and the teachers how IC is doing, and what they can be doing better. After several exchanges of thank yous, (IC has done quite a bit at PoPaViSSA) and deserves the accolades with many new buildings. 2 school buildings last year, have turned into 10 this year. The head teacher asked for one more comment, and then told the gathering, we will let John give the final speech. The formality in the Ugandan class room is very specific, and there are many speeches at a faculty meeting like this.

This being Africa, I am starting to be ready for impromptu speeches....(SIDE NOTE: I HAVE JUST RETREATED TO THE SAFETY OF MY BED, AS THE MOSQUITOES WERE TAKING MORE BLOOD FROM ME THAN THE RED CROSS ALLOWS!!)

Here to the best of my recollection is that speech. "First of all, I want to thank everyone in this room for the kindness that has been extended to me and my fellow teachers over the last 24 hours. In a short time you have treated us like family and we appreciate your kindness.

Our colleague that died in the bombing, worked hard to spread the message of your students and your schools to American students. Because, he and his colleagues were so successful, we can see in the new buildings and the classrooms the real extent of their efforts.

Most of us in Invisible Children have joined this organization because we detest violence. It is not an answer, and not a solution. We are teachers, so we teach kindness, and love and understanding. And that is what we have seen from our Ugandan counterparts. You have shown us a great kindness and a great gentleness. Here, I speak for myself, but I think my fellow teachers will agree that this attack of violence does not weaken our resolve, but it strengthens us. I want to do even more now, because I do not want to live in a world, where violence wins. We are teachers and we will continue to do what we do best-- we will teach. We will teach kindness and love and understanding. It is knowledge of the world and others that breaks down hate, and in the end, I believe we will win.. This battle will not be won by soldiers it will be won by teachers.

I also want to say that when I see the Pope Paul VI students that they have the same determination and drive that American students have. They pursue...they pursue knowledge and dream about their future. So it is our duty, that we MUST not let this determination and drive be wasted. We must do our very best for these students. This is the path we have chosen, everyone in this room is a teacher, and we must continue on this path.

I am so impressed with these students, that I will end this way. In 2030, I expect to turn on the NBC Nightly News and hear that they have just elected a new president in Uganda and I will say, "Hey, I taught her when she was a student at Pope Paul VI in Anaka."

So today was a good day, I had two different help sessions with only a handful of students each time. I really felt I was helping those students with their mathematics.


John

1 comment:

Eric L said...

Haha, oh boy do I remember the impromtu speeches. The girls always made me be the first to talk last year, haha