Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Old Man Take a look at yourself.....

It started out pretty good, Kelley talked me into walking up to see the Priests mid-afternoon, we got lunch, although I have not been feeling right for a day or two. Then after lunch, when I saw Father Leonsyo's stash of bamboo. I asked him if I could have a small piece. He called his carpentry guy, and soon Patrick and I were cutting a 112 cm bamboo stick. I had tennis balls, I had bought in Gulu, and I was going to hit fungo (fly balls) to the students. Father asked how I played it, so I picked up a small piece of fruit, smaller than a golfball, and expected to hit it out of the yard. It did not happen, I think I missed 4 times in a row, how can I not hit fungo? On one of the misses, I twisted my knee (retwisted it actually).... so I was left with my pride and my knee hurting a bit.

But fungo went well, with me hitting tennis balls to Pope Paul students (about 4 of them) as about 55 people watched. Soon they had picked up another stick, not near as my bamboo custom made bat, and they tried. I walked to their side of the field to help them hit a ball by throwing it into the air. One of the studentts pantomimed golf, and asked if I knew that game. I said yes. He then said, "You should play that sport, sir, it is a good sport for fat men."


Got home for dinner, the students have organized study halls from 7-10 pm, most nights. I went into one of the Senior 3 rooms, and spent 2 hours teaching them mathematics.....


That is all, my internet solution may not work, but don't worry worst case, I will be in touch Friday morning for most of you.



John

No comments: