Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Atanga SS Yes!!!!!!!!!!

After talking with Ocwa Alfred and Obonyo Sam, I knew I needed to visit Atanga SS---no matter what. To recap a little, there was some problems with the Head Teacher and the students felt that their one chance at an education was being compromised. So they reacted in the wrong way with violence. So the head teacher is gone, after recovering from the beating in the hospital, and the students and teachers are left to pick up the pieces. Some students took this opportunity to give up and leave school, some teachers are noticeably absent, but that I think just leaves the students and the teachers behind even more resolute to succeed.

At first, my visit looked in trouble. I was not able to convince our leaders about this trip. Since the bombing in Kampala, IC is being very, very cautious and travelling to Atanga in a non-IC vehicle was not allowed. But after the tragedy of last Sunday, I think everyone realised (bonus Ugandan spelling) that I was going.

As Group 1 left, I was able to give them my new traditional good-bye (John Magee and 5 little ones, saluting them behind a Ugandan flag). Next Group 2 left for Safari, and it was just me. Sunday (that is his name) soon came in a vehicle, we stopped on the way out of town to pick up a case of Fanta Orange for the students and we began the journey. It is always a 2 person operation in driving you somewhere, so Sunday had to do something (or maybe just did not relish 4 hours on an awful road) and he replaced himself with a guy named Bongo Man. Bongo Man was friendly and got in to the vehicle with a heavy shirt with the American flag printed on the pocket.

I was so anxious to get there, but a rib-shaker, butt crusing, head banging of a bump made me realise the uncertainty of any journey in Uganda. I cranked out a couple of Hail Marys and sure enough, five minutes later the vehicle came to a complete stop. The driver reached behind his seat, right at my feet, and reconnected a battery cable to the battery and we drove on. It had rained this morning so the road was in awful shape....sure enough the vehicle stopped again after a half hour....All in all, we stopped 5 times to reconnect the battery. Since the road was bad, a journey that takes 70 minutes (not counting my ride with the Norwegian refugee Council when they did it in 46) was pushing 2 hours. When I saw the familiar town center of Lakecokoyot, I was pumped. Waiting at the sign post of Atanga SS were 2 students, who waved and followed us into the school. I was hoping there was going to be students on a Saturday, but I did not know....Knowing there were 2 waiting at the gate, 500 meters from the school made me SMILE, SMILE, SMILE.

I had told Alfred and Sam, I was going to come, and they gave the message to the students. I was excited as we pulled in and started to walk towards the faculty lounge (a large Mango tree), we were soon being followed by 80 to 100 students. I beckoned them to join us, and soon I was sitting in a chair, and talking to so many of my old friends and familiar faces. It was weird, as I was telling them how happy I was to be back, every time I took a breath they applauded. Kwolyero Ronald, is now the head boy (YEAH!!!--think of my happiness when Emily Done and Haley Hunter won the Father Nerinckx Award) and he got up to speak.

I think Ronald was upset and disappointed with himself that he was not able to control the students more during the student uprising. I know he should not be; I am sure he did all he could, but boy do I know the feeling of wanting a Ugandan redo. He gave a very good speech. I responded to his words by telling him and the rest of the gatehered that I am so, so proud of my students when they graduate from Nerinx (pat yourself on the back '10ers and '09ers, etc.), but I cannot even imagine how proud they should be of themselves at Atanga. The students who pass the S.4. exams have overcome so much poverty, so much violence, and so much war--the fact that they kept their eyes on the prize and triumphed amidst other students not being able to continue is amazing.

I handed them a new soccer ball, and a new wiffle ball set....I then realized I also had on me, about 150 silly bands that I was going to save for small children, but these ones....These ones are MY students....so all of the silly bands were distributed. It was a short trip probably only staying for 90 minutes, but a really wonderful trip. The teachers invited me for some food, and it was good beef...The cost and difficulty in finding beef like that I know was an amazing and impossible task in Atanga. But they did it -- for me. And some people still wonder why I keep coming back. How can I not? I am constantly flabbergasted by the kindness and generosity of the Acholi people. Alfred even handed me 5000/= shillings on my way out of town to buy water.

So hopefully Jen, Michelle, Colleen, Kelley, and the others saw Lions and Hippos and wonderful scenes that cannot be replaced in their lifetime sitting on Mattresses on top of the vehicles. I hope they saw baby elephants, graceful giraffes, and hippos and crocodiles. For me, my animals came much smaller--colorful silly bands on a wonderful group of students: Students who have struggled so much just to learn and succeed, and their caring teachers who have not given up the fight. They need your prayers because the struggle continues of limited resources and limited funds, but they also deserve your admiration. I think my view sitting under a Mango tree was unrepeatable. At the end of a long, bumpy road in Northern Uganda are students of character, students of strength, students of humility, students of kindness....they are my students

John Magee
Teacher
Atanga SS

4 comments:

Unknown said...

John it is great to hear from you. Atanga is such a great place and I think about it everyday from being with the students there two years ago. It is heartbreaking to hear the problems they have there, but they are resilient and the ones who can will overcome. Your presence I am sure was inspiration. I still have Gulu and Uganda in my heart every day and miss you and that wonderful place so much.

Josh

Unknown said...

John it is great to hear from you. Atanga is such a great place and I think about it everyday from being with the students there two years ago. It is heartbreaking to hear the problems they have there, but they are resilient and the ones who can will overcome. Your presence I am sure was inspiration. I still have Gulu and Uganda in my heart every day and miss you and that wonderful place so much.

Josh

David said...

John, I'm glad you were able to be present with the students and staff. Atanga SS is such a challenging and inspirational community, and I admire the work you are doing.

Josh, it's great to see you here. I hope you're doing well.

Dave

John Magee said...

There is a chance that Ocwa Alfred will be selected to come to the States in January.....There should definitely be an Atangan teacher....keep your fingers crossed